• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blank Cover Facsimiles
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I’m currently trying to track down a Spider-Man sketch blank cover for a commission and the artist prefers cardstock not the glossy kind of standard comic cover. 

He mentioned Harley Quinn: Gossamer as being a really good blank he’s worked with before. I was going to just let him do his thing on his preferred cover since he’s painting over everything - but I realized that there are ASM 1 (Cindy moon APP), as well as 129, 238 and UF4 facsimile blanks. 

A) does anyone know what the paper quality is like on these?

B) Will the blank being a “key” reprinted at all be worth it - this will be a spider-man themed celebrity signed book and ultimately will likely be a 1 of 1 and something I don’t plan on moving. 

Any advice on any of the above would be appreciated. (Also I just don’t know how to feel about facsimile’s to begin with - I’m guessing these blanks are for swipes?)

On 1/22/2023 at 2:34 PM, JoeBrrr said:

I’m currently trying to track down a Spider-Man sketch blank cover for a commission and the artist prefers cardstock not the glossy kind of standard comic cover. 

He mentioned Harley Quinn: Gossamer as being a really good blank he’s worked with before. I was going to just let him do his thing on his preferred cover since he’s painting over everything - but I realized that there are ASM 1 (Cindy moon APP), as well as 129, 238 and UF4 facsimile blanks. 

A) does anyone know what the paper quality is like on these?

B) Will the blank being a “key” reprinted at all be worth it - this will be a spider-man themed celebrity signed book and ultimately will likely be a 1 of 1 and something I don’t plan on moving. 

Any advice on any of the above would be appreciated. (Also I just don’t know how to feel about facsimile’s to begin with - I’m guessing these blanks are for swipes?)

Here's one:

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 001.jpg

On 1/22/2023 at 3:41 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Thank you - I was looking at that - just worried about how thick that issue is if I remember correctly. Also any idea on if it’s card stock. 

Well, with the cover it's thick, because, yes it is cover stock.

All blanks like this are cardstock.  Whether or not they are great for inking or using watercolor etc. is a different story.  Ask any comic artist which bristol board that they prefer over another, and it is a rabbit hole, especially since there are so many different brands of black/india ink that flow and absorb into the different bristol boards differently.  I'm sure many bigger artists have done commssions on these blanks and know what ink(s) and other media works best on them.  Not sure if every publisher that produces blanks uses the same cardstock/bristol for the cover.

The blanks aren't just for swipes.  They are for whatever you want an artist to put on them, really.