• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Blanks for commissions?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

A bit of a double post but I’m commissioning Ash Gonzales for a pretty cool - spidey meets celeb cover that I am really excited to put together. Think it may just be a 1 of 1 in terms of the signer not sure. 

I naturally want the artist to use the blank they feel most comfortable with - Ash mentioned liking card stock (mentioned the following Harley Quinn blank as being extra nice). I ofc would love to have some sort of ASM/SPIDEY book blank just to have the slab read Spider-Man or ASM. 

A) does anyone know if the ASM 1 (the reboot with Cindy Moon cameo), or any of the recent “key” facsimile’s are on glossy paper or card stock? 

B) Is there any value in having a sketch cover done on a “key” cover vs something unrelated. I see there’s even a UF4 facsimile blank. (Tbh - I don’t like facsimiles)

Congrats on getting an Ash commission. I would preface before answering your questions is that you should be comfortable with your decision and enjoy your commission. You'll be the one looking at it when completed. I feel that everyone in this sketch room has different non-negotiables and preferences on their sketches. For example if I would ask for a commission, I would want it to be of a Spider-Man character on a Spider-Man comic. Others may want Spider-Man and Scooby-Doo since they collect commissions of Scooby-Doo :wink:. Also Ash has done a lot of commissions, use his expertise when finalizing your commission.

A) There aren't a lot of key comics that have a blank version. I know ASM (1st app of Cindy Moon) does not have a blank comic. So you aren't spending that much time of the blank comic, I would find out from Ash what their intention is with the title of the comic. Are they going to paint over it or just use the blank space below it? This will give you an idea of which type of blank comic to get.

B) Putting value of a sketch cover done on a "key" comic can be difficult to determine. Like mentioned, everyone has an opinion of sketches on traditional covers. There will be some that be interested in that and others will be disgusted that you did that. It's similar to people who have artists/writers sign comics.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:59 PM, Greengiant said:

Congrats on getting an Ash commission. I would preface before answering your questions is that you should be comfortable with your decision and enjoy your commission. You'll be the one looking at it when completed. I feel that everyone in this sketch room has different non-negotiables and preferences on their sketches. For example if I would ask for a commission, I would want it to be of a Spider-Man character on a Spider-Man comic. Others may want Spider-Man and Scooby-Doo since they collect commissions of Scooby-Doo :wink:. Also Ash has done a lot of commissions, use his expertise when finalizing your commission.

A) There aren't a lot of key comics that have a blank version. I know ASM (1st app of Cindy Moon) does not have a blank comic. So you aren't spending that much time of the blank comic, I would find out from Ash what their intention is with the title of the comic. Are they going to paint over it or just use the blank space below it? This will give you an idea of which type of blank comic to get.

B) Putting value of a sketch cover done on a "key" comic can be difficult to determine. Like mentioned, everyone has an opinion of sketches on traditional covers. There will be some that be interested in that and others will be disgusted that you did that. It's similar to people who have artists/writers sign comics.

Cheers ivy - perfectly answered I’ll speak with ash more! Can’t wait to share this piece with everyone if it all works out. 

Ash is really great with handling (and even upgrading) other sketch covers. Some blanks are easier to work on and others hold their grade better. 

Are you looking for a front cover only or wraparound cover?