• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Collectors search out the old "Red Label" Moderns?

12 posts in this topic

I just got these two in the mail today.  They were bonus comics thrown in on a lot I bought.  The auction didn't even show the labels so I was a little taken a back when I opened the package.

I was thinking of cracking them out because they're worthless in these grades, but I thought maybe they're worth something as early "red labels"?

Any thoughts?

RenderedImage.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 1/24/2023 at 4:44 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And you bid anyway?

These were just extras in the auction.  It was a big lot and these were just Bonus comics.  I was bidding to win the other comics.  They mentioned these but I didn't care about them and there were no photos of these, and I just thought they were going to be raw comics, so when these red labels came out of the box... I was like.... "Wow, you don't see those very often.

Edited by gadzukes

On 1/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, gadzukes said:

These were just extras in the auction.  It was a big lot and these were just Bonus comics.  I was bidding to win the other comics.  They mentioned these but I didn't care about them and there were no photos of these, and I just thought they were going to be raw comics, so when these red labels came out of the box... I was like.... "Wow, you don't see those very often.

Ah.  That makes sense.  Kinda a nice little bonus of a time gone by.  (thumbsu

On 1/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, gadzukes said:

I was thinking of cracking them out because they're worthless in these grades, but I thought maybe they're worth something as early "red labels"?

Any thoughts?

RenderedImage.jpeg

They're definitely worth more IN the slabs with the red labels than cracked out, simply because they are worthless cracked out (as you stated). There are few red label slabs remaining, so you'd basically be saving the gum and throwing away the baseball cards. 

On 1/24/2023 at 5:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Now that you suggest it, I might pay $30 or so to get a red label book just to have an example of one, but what I would really be buying is the slab, not the contents.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Now that you suggest it, I might pay $30 or so to get a red label book just to have an example of one, but what I would really be buying is the slab, not the contents.

Now THAT's strange! :insane:

On 1/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, OtherEric said:

Wait a minute..... what about "Buy the book not the label"? xD

Edited by gadzukes