• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM EERIE #4
2 2

5 posts in this topic

From a discussion about a similar defect on a different book in another section of the forums...

How would you grade a book with this kind of damage on the upper right corner--many of the interior pages are missing up to a 1/4" triangle?  The damage isn't obvious as the book lays flat, even looking edge-on.  The corner damage isn't the only issue with the book, but I think it's probably the most serious, the flaw that most limits the grade.

But I'm interested in other thoughts.

191619550_EERIE4F.thumb.jpg.b77edcb28278f9f6b6accba761c9d17e.jpg2062510052_EERIE4B.thumb.jpg.64f6ce0979525f5c4b3e1d1145e746f9.jpg544667222_EERIE4Corner1.thumb.jpg.f2346be85e0cdceb41e10e32377d4539.jpg1151442911_EERIE4Corner2.thumb.jpg.aa510cc13418bb538e0cc131553ce299.jpg

Based on a skimming of the CGC book, this is best described as a missing piece. I don't see anything specific about a defect like this going through the book. Putting on my detective hat, it does look like the back corner, it seems probably this is some kind of handling issue rather than a problem from the production end. I would not bet $s on my analysis though. I'd put a ceiling of 5.0 on this b/c of the front cover damage, which impacts the appearance, plus the extent of the missing pieces. I don't have personal experience seeing a defect like this graded, but I do have a Marvel Spotlight 2 that has something similar, albeit on the outer edge (not corner), on the back cover, and doesn't go through the whole book. The issue goes through the backup/reprint story, not the new material, but it's kept it out of the grading queue anyway. A bit of a bummer b/c the front cover is quite nice.