• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offset/Pulled Staples
2 2

3 posts in this topic

I own and have come across high graded comics which I would describe as pulled staples. However, when I sent the comics in for grading, they came back without any references to the staples. In one instance, I sent the comics back because I thought they were damaged in transit. The feedback I received was, "the slightly offset staple were printed that way." I was very happy to receive that news. 

I've attached pictures of a comic (not owned by me) that best captures what I see in some of my slabbed comics. I guess I haven't seen, or avoided, enough comics to determine what is slightly offset due to wear vs printed that way. Now there's a whole new variable added to my calculations.

The enclosed photos are of a CGC 9.6. Several of the comics from my personal selection vary from 6.0 to 9.4 range. Again, with no mention of staple offset.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 5.35.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 5.35.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 5.35.00 PM.png

The accepted term for the condition you describe is "impacted staples" (rather than "offset staples").  Impacted staples most commonly occur during manufacturing (when the cover is stapled to the interior).  However, the condition can also be caused by a poorly executed pressing or by impact-type loading to an encapsulated book (in which case the book is said to suffer from "Shaken Comic Syndrome" or SCS).

I strongly recommend taking high-resolution scans of each and every book you ship (even if they're going to CGC).  :foryou:

Yeah, I don't think you'll see 9.8s with these staples but NM is acceptable.

I'm having vague recollections maybe that we discussed this once and maybe CGC is more accepting of this flaw because it's a potential defect caused by pressing which is prevalent in their business. Or maybe I'm being conspiratorial. :whistle: