• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current TAT vs TAT when recieved?
6 6

118 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2023 at 6:25 PM, oakman29 said:

I get that and appreciate the sentiment,  and would love to have books done. However I dont trust anything that takes a year to achieve. 

Totally agree, I am literally crapping myself incase they have been damaged while there. 

On 2/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, batmiesta said:

Totally agree, I am literally crapping myself incase they have been damaged while there. 

I have a beautiful copy of AF 15 , probably in the 7.0 ish range. I've wanted to get that done real bad, just cant get passed the timeframe thing.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:34 PM, oakman29 said:

I have a beautiful copy of AF 15 , probably in the 7.0 ish range. I've wanted to get that done real bad, just cant get passed the timeframe thing.

Wouldn’t a book like that justify a walk through? I’m not up on submission protocol as I’ve never submitted anything. Just heard this mentioned before for high priced books.

It sounds like the turnaround times for comics have gotten down into a much more reasonable range lately, it's just the magazines that are still taking a year or more.  If I started seeing turnaround times measured in weeks instead of months as they currently are for magazines, I would be a lot more open to having some Vampis done.  But even if I got the books back inside of 30 days, I'd still have to get my mind past the 2,700 pages (and growing daily) of the "Where Was the Quality Control?" thread.  I still don't think I would trust the process to return my books without any new damage and encapsulated properly--that barrier is still way too high for me.

It's definitely safer and quicker to buy them already graded and slabbed if you want them that way, but when you're already sitting on several raw 9.x issues for which you paid $30 each going on daBay for several hundred dollars each in slabs, it's not the best way to maximize the value for my step-grandchildren's education.  Seems as if I'm more likely to make money at the poker table than I am to get a 10-book order back correctly graded and encapsulated with no new damage (let alone 100 books).  So safer, yes, quicker, yes, but economical?  No.

On 2/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, Jayman said:

Wouldn’t a book like that justify a walk through? I’m not up on submission protocol as I’ve never submitted anything. Just heard this mentioned before for high priced books.

Yeah! I think that would be the best bet.

On 2/5/2023 at 7:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

It sounds like the turnaround times for comics have gotten down into a much more reasonable range lately, it's just the magazines that are still taking a year or more.  If I started seeing turnaround times measured in weeks instead of months as they currently are for magazines, I would be a lot more open to having some Vampis done.  But even if I got the books back inside of 30 days, I'd still have to get my mind past the 2,700 pages (and growing daily) of the "Where Was the Quality Control?" thread.  I still don't think I would trust the process to return my books without any new damage and encapsulated properly--that barrier is still way too high for me.

It's definitely safer and quicker to buy them already graded and slabbed if you want them that way, but when you're already sitting on several raw 9.x issues for which you paid $30 each going on daBay for several hundred dollars each in slabs, it's not the best way to maximize the value for my step-grandchildren's education.  Seems as if I'm more likely to make money at the poker table than I am to get a 10-book order back correctly graded and encapsulated with no new damage (let alone 100 books).  So safer, yes, quicker, yes, but economical?  No.

Yeah! Between a rock and a hard place. 

On 2/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, Jayman said:

If I lived in Florida that would be awesome. 

On 2/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, oakman29 said:

If I lived in Florida that would be awesome. 

There’s a couple books I have that I plan to walk through one of the next times we go to FL. Just have to make a Sarasota pit stop! :) 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:02 AM, Axe Elf said:

This is why I started buying stocks at roughly the same age I began collecting comics.......

On 2/5/2023 at 9:58 AM, oakman29 said:

I'll buy my books graded if I want one graded, it's much faster that way.

I'm not just a collector, I buy/sell/trade for a living. That being said when I buy a collection, sometimes tens of thousands of books at a time, I need to maximize my return. Like the collection the magazine submission in question is from.. I bought out the remaining deadstock from a comic/toy/hobby shop that was open from the 70s-'95 when the owner got cancer and subsequently closed shop and moved all her inventory to their farm property, and she stayed on bed rest til last year when she passed away... Not only was the collection expensive, I also had to travel 4 states away, spend 6 nights in a hotel, pay for a uhaul that entire time, etc. That gets expensive very quickly. Needless to say I cherry picked the roughly 110 long boxes of comics I came back with, and have since had a 3month long sale at the LCS with my overflow, which alone paid me back, plus much more, for the initial investment. I got just over 50 copies of Raphael #1 in that pick, instead of dealing w people trying to argue/haggle on raw grades/values it makes way more sense for me to have them encapsulated..

FB_IMG_1675308807799.jpg

FB_IMG_1675310966659.jpg

FB_IMG_1675310989114.jpg

On 2/4/2023 at 5:39 AM, Nick Berntson said:

Don't say that... they're still only in 'Scheduled for Grading'.. Hope they don't take weeks in G.E.I. once they're on to the next step...

One week already, don't want to be the guy that said "told you so" but! :whistle:

On 2/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, batmiesta said:

One week already, don't want to be the guy that said "told you so" but! :whistle:

Original quoted TAT when received was 50 days, now says 69. They were received on the 29th of Dec. So it's really only been 35 business days. Don't you dare throw that shade on me Ricky Bobby!

On 2/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, batmiesta said:

I'm officially sick to my stomach.. So of the 2 magazine submissions I made in December, one was just your regular ol' Modern Tier, the other Standard.. the Standard had 15 copies of Raphael 1, Modern had 14. Both received on 29th of Dec. I split it like that so I could in theory get the Standard sub back in the 50 day TAT that was quoted at the time, and since I have no intention of flooding the market didn't mind waiting the 250+ TAT for Modern.. The $50ish extra per book seemed a reasonable tradeoff for getting the books back faster, as time is money, but lo n behold we come to today..I have been checking my CGC status every day… no movement until today.. The group of rafael number one's that I didn't pay an extra $50 per book to have graded faster is in G.E.I. now.. while the ones that I paid an arm and a leg for are still stuck..

Screenshot_20230214-095455_Chrome.jpg

On 2/14/2023 at 11:01 AM, batmiesta said:

They are waiting for the new holders to arrive, no magazines will be slabbed until they do, they will be graded awaiting the new holders.

I totally understand that period period what I'm confused about is why the modern tier got bumped to the next phase in the grading process While my standard tier, the one I paid $50 more per book on, is still scheduled for grading. I just got off the phone with CGC they said they're going to expedite my standard tier And push it ahead of the line or some s***. We'll see.