• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dust Shadow effect to grade?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Curious if a 1/4" dust shadow on the back of a 1970s-1980s book is going to be a big hit to the grade? Down the side or across the top/bottom (top in the attached photo). Experiences with this?

IMG_0152.jpg

Edited by tic81

That will depend on the Overall Condition of the book.

I would suggest that you open a thread in the "https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/" section with clear pics of the front and rear covers, spine and staples, inside front and rear covers and the centerfold.

Dust Shadow - Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and was exposed to settling dust particles. Also see "Oxidation Shadow" and "Sun Shadow."

Foxing - Defect caused by mold growth which results in a spotting effect usually at the edges of comic books.

Stains - Discoloration caused by a foreign substance.

Just for "Foxing, Staining, Discoloration"...

NM- 9.2 - NM 9.4 - Slight foxing.

VF 8.0 - VF/NM 9.0 - Very minor foxing.

FN/VF 7.0 - Minor foxing.

FN 6.0 -  minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG/FN 5.0 - minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG 4.0 - Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed.

GD/VG 3.0 -  Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. 

GD 2.0 -  Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present

As you can see there are many grey areas in comic book grading, they use descriptive terms such as, "slight, very minor, minor, moderate", these terms do not have a black and white definition which leaves it up to individual interpretation which can change day to day.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

That dust shadow is probably not the most significant defect on the book; it can still grade pretty high.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sensation Comics #1 (DC, 1942) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white pages....

Not sure that is the best example. Old label on a book that personally, I think they overgraded back in the day. Plus as a Sensation 1, like other so called top tier grails, they seems to provide a level of leniency that is not often provided to newer books.

A copper age book with such a tan line and no other real flaws I believe would get hit hard down to the VF range. That is where I would put the original post in question, assuming the book is relatively flawless otherwise.

On 2/9/2023 at 11:29 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Not sure that is the best example.

I apologize if my example of what is possible was mistaken for an example of what is typical.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, Axe Elf said:

I apologize if my example of what is possible was mistaken for an example of what is typical.

No need to apologize! It is a legit example. It is just a golden age book and whether right or wrong, CGC treats them differently

On 2/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, tic81 said:

Curious if a 1/4" dust shadow on the back of a 1970s-1980s book is going to be a big hit to the grade? Down the side or across the top/bottom (top in the attached photo). Experiences with this?

IMG_0152.jpg
Interesting! However, when assessing the overall condition of the book, the dust shadow effect can be taken into account as one of many factors. I already wrote about this with ai essay writer, I found ai program that writes essays for this. I don’t want to write something for a long time. So, it is also important to consider other aspects such as the condition of the cover, the condition of the pages, the presence of signatures or stains, as well as the rarity of the publication and its historical significance.

Dust shadows located at the top or bottom of the cover can be more noticeable and affect the first impression of the book.

Edited by estrellmamone2