• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny x-men #131
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi! Hope you don’t mind me chiming in—I’m still pretty new to grading but really want to test myself on the forums so figured this was a good way to have a written record in case you repost the actual grade later on. Anyone feel free to correct me if this is frowned upon on the forum! Figured I’d start with higher grade bronze/copper/modern since that’s what I’m most familiar with.

Many color breaking ticks on the back as well as a small color breaking crease to top left corner of the back cover, but the front cover looks gorgeous to me aside from a tick near the very bottom of the spine. I’d go 8.5/9.0 with a press, since most the blemishes are BC. (Again, let me know if I’m overstepping here—I just find grading a really fun exercise)

On 2/5/2023 at 12:57 AM, Nsschenks said:

Hi! Hope you don’t mind me chiming in—I’m still pretty new to grading but really want to test myself on the forums so figured this was a good way to have a written record in case you repost the actual grade later on. Anyone feel free to correct me if this is frowned upon on the forum! Figured I’d start with higher grade bronze/copper/modern since that’s what I’m most familiar with.

Many color breaking ticks on the back as well as a small color breaking crease to top left corner of the back cover, but the front cover looks gorgeous to me aside from a tick near the very bottom of the spine. I’d go 8.5/9.0 with a press, since most the blemishes are BC. (Again, let me know if I’m overstepping here—I just find grading a really fun exercise)

I used to think ticks would be graded harshly, but as long as there isn't alot and nothing too bad, it can still get 9+. I'm guessing after a press ill get a 9.2. Then again, I sent in a Nova 1 that looked worse than this a month ago and got a 9.4. There's a bit of a theory that when you send raws in for a ss, graders might give you a little bump too. Not sure how true it is but we'll see.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:13 AM, comicjoe1234 said:

I used to think ticks would be graded harshly, but as long as there isn't alot and nothing too bad, it can still get 9+. I'm guessing after a press ill get a 9.2. Then again, I sent in a Nova 1 that looked worse than this a month ago and got a 9.4. There's a bit of a theory that when you send raws in for a ss, graders might give you a little bump too. Not sure how true it is but we'll see.

Ah k yeah I wasn’t sure. I was initially leaning 9.0/9.2 but I’d rather err on the conservative side as a practice (for my own sake with sending in raws more than anything else lol). CB ticks definitely baffle me—I’ve spent a lot of time scanning similarly CGC graded copies on eBay and whatnot and I’ve found the 9.2 and up range really difficult to get on a bead on for ticks. Grade killer for newer comics but seems to be more acceptable on older (pre-90’s) books. Also, FC seems to be way more important in that regard (and this one’s a beaut). Still learning though!