• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic theft
10 10

86 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2023 at 12:48 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Bob, sorry to hear about this.

Do you know how they got into your unit?

Cut a lock?  Break through a side wall from an adjoining unit?

If you are familiar with Public Storage units this one has a roll up door,  sliding bolt with the ability to put up to two locks.  The slide is protected by steel bar in front of it.  The door was still locked when I got there but the steel bar was pried forward,  the bent the runner the door goes up inward which disengaged the slide from the runner keeping the door down.  The bar on the outside only allows the door to be halfway open but in you go.  

It doesn't matter how many locks you put on the door,  this door system does not provide security.

I've lost storage unit keys for this type of unit,  took the locksmith over an hour to drill it out,  they are not easy.  However,  after seeing this break in it doesn't really matter about the lock.  

That and there not being any security camera's inside has made me more then sick.  

On 2/8/2023 at 1:30 AM, Mmanick said:

Yeah this definitely sounds like an inside job to me. Maybe someone watching every time you came in. An employee who knows some shady people. Get a list out and definitely check places like craigslist, local shops, ebay , Facebook marketplace etc... Hope these come back to you. Was the police department any help ?

Police department arrived quickly,  took an report which I didn't agree with and left.  

Haven't spoken to detectives yet.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, blazingbob said:

I've lost storage unit keys for this type of unit,  took the locksmith over an hour to drill it out,  they are not easy.  However,  after seeing this break in it doesn't really matter about the lock.  

What kind of lock was it? I used to work storage and had to cut or drill a lot of locks on people who abandoned their stuff and it never took me more than 5 minutes.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, blazingbob said:

There are security camera's on the front and rear entrances,  they have my last date of entry and they will be reviewing footage from 2/1 through 2/7 2 PM to see if somebody was exiting with my inventory. 

They have to have security codes to get into the facility so if there is somebody exiting I'm sure they can figure out who got in.  

There are not security camera's inside the building which I was not aware of.  This is not an old storage unit facility.    

I will now be looking for a more secure location and moving out of this facility to find one that has security cameras within the building.

This is a Public storage,  not some small out in the middle of no where facility.   

As far as the laughing emoji goes I'm not sure what is funny about this either.   

Sorry to hear it Bob.  Hope these books are safely recovered and the perpetrators are caught.

Sorry to hear this happen. Hope you’re able To recover your books! I’ll keep any eye out in canada and through the various selling venues (eBay) Kijiji etc..

On 2/8/2023 at 6:50 PM, D84 said:

What kind of lock was it? I used to work storage and had to cut or drill a lot of locks on people who abandoned their stuff and it never took me more than 5 minutes.

They did not damage the lock at all,  they bent the steal bar that protects the slide into the runner the door goes up and down on.  

I could have had 50 locks on the door,  wouldn't have mattered with the door design they use.  If you have anything in a storage unit using this type of door the locks mean absolutely NOTHING.   These units are NO security at all.  I went back today and my wife and I discovered that 4 5x5 units had also been broken into,  the person working there was aware of 3-4 other 5x5 units which has a different door slot.  Bend and pop them open like beer cans.    

Here are the pictures of the locking mechanism.  The lock was still in when I arrived at the unit.  This picture was taken after I took the lock out.  By bending the bar out they can better access to the runner (basically a garage door runner which is not hardened steel by any means.  Bend that runner back and the lock bar pops out allowing the door to be opened up halfway which is more then enough space to gain access.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef26f08bb082f7bfef2b787bcc45bbc5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e673f34ac60e254b817b6013ae24f0d8.jpeg

Edited by blazingbob

On 2/8/2023 at 9:09 PM, blazingbob said:

They did not damage the lock at all,  they bent the steal bar that protects the slide into the runner the door goes up and down on.  

I could have had 50 locks on the door,  wouldn't have matter with the door design they use.

Here are the pictures of the locking mechanism.  The lock was still in when I arrived at the unit.  This picture was taken after I took the lock out.  By bending the bar out they can better access to the runner (basically a garage door runner which is not hardened steel by any means.  Bend that runner back and the lock bar pops out allowing the door to be opened up halfway which is more then enough space to gain access.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef26f08bb082f7bfef2b787bcc45bbc5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e673f34ac60e254b817b6013ae24f0d8.jpeg

Sorry about the confusion. I was referring to it taking a locksmith an hour to drill out the cylander lock when you lost your keys.

You are right. It doesn't matter how many locks you put on those units. With as cheap as the materials usually are around the door, it renders the lock a moot point.

I hope they catch the :censored: and get your books back.

On 2/8/2023 at 10:41 PM, D84 said:

Sorry about the confusion. I was referring to it taking a locksmith an hour to drill out the cylander lock when you lost your keys.

You are right. It doesn't matter how many locks you put on those units. With as cheap as the materials usually are around the door, it renders the lock a moot point.

I hope they catch the :censored: and get your books back.

And so that people know I have lost the keys to this type of storage unit.  It took a locksmith over an hour and three drill bits to drill out the lock.  They are VERY good locks,  however the door design is useless as far as security goes which I didn't know until yesterday.