• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading unverified signatures when you have a COA
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have several issues which are signed and I have the COAs (Dynamic Forces, etc...) - it is worth sending these in to get the book graded and taking the green label? If I am correct this would grade the book excluding a hit for the signature since they can't verify it BUT I have the COA so I can

On 2/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, JDubeCT said:

I have several issues which are signed and I have the COAs (Dynamic Forces, etc...) - it is worth sending these in to get the book graded and taking the green label? If I am correct this would grade the book excluding a hit for the signature since they can't verify it BUT I have the COA so I can

COAs mean nothing to CGC. They'll simply throw them out for you.

Think you missed what I was asking - green vs yellow label aside; if I get a 9.8 green w/COA for colectors sake is it worth it? I was thinking it would be good to protect the issues I have with COA signatures - so grading makes sense - but not sure if it is worth CBCS verifying it or just going CGC and holding onto the COA (well hold COA either way but hopefully you follow.)

On 2/9/2023 at 9:33 AM, JDubeCT said:

if I get a 9.8 green w/COA for colectors sake is it worth it?

You're the only person that can make this determination.

I personally can't think of a good reason to submit them when you can simply bag-and-board them with the COAs.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:33 AM, JDubeCT said:

Think you missed what I was asking - green vs yellow label aside; if I get a 9.8 green w/COA for colectors sake is it worth it? I was thinking it would be good to protect the issues I have with COA signatures - so grading makes sense - but not sure if it is worth CBCS verifying it or just going CGC and holding onto the COA (well hold COA either way but hopefully you follow.)

If it's for you it's whatever you prefer. No need to pay more to get a signature verified if you believe it's legit. For resale it might be better to have it verified. Personally I would most likely buy the cgc green label. I can verify it myself and will take the slab. Most people don't trust coa. Some don't trust verification label. 

Very generally it depends on the grade and the book and the signer.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:43 AM, JDubeCT said:

I recent got a moon knight, a spider unlimited #1 and a Batman 500 all signed and COA by Dynamic Forces was considering those

very generally, look at ebay SOLD listings for raw signed, and compare CGC qualified (green label) comics with signatures.  If possible, try to cross reference with the the titles, the issues,  signers and try to match grades if possible.  Then you can estimated the amount of premium IF any you might realize from getting them graded.  Then look up submission prices (make sure to include shipping to and from) on the CGC website, and then decide FOR YOURSELF if it is worth it according to your OWN PERSONAL collection and financial criteria.  For example, some submitters want to break even, some want to submit for collection reasons and money isn't an issue, some want to make 20% profit, and some want to make 200% profit, and some people care about absolute dollar profit.  Some people have a mix of criteria.  No one knows your personal criteria, but I will say that without you giving more information and more research, it doesn't appear to be one of the few situations where you should obviously submit the signed raw book for grading. 

the more research you do and the more data you collect (you may need to interpolate or extrapolate a bit), the better decision you'll make.