• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else shocked by these numbers?

32 posts in this topic

Actually, I am not jaded. That 9.9 has to be pratically unread. Typical of the issue. Be perfectly cut...yada, yada, yada. And those conditions, are not all that common, especially when the local loitering fanboy decides to finger every copy.

It is more difficult to get a comic book 9.9 graded then breeding a Best of Breed Schnauzer.

Not only is a 9.9 unread... it better not even have any fingerprints.

(Or so I hear.) grin.gif

Any nearly-imperceptible mistakes at the factory probably knock

an otherwise perfect (and untouched) copy "down" to 9.8.

Unless it's a much older book, then a whole other set of rules apply. yeahok.gif

(Judging solely from scans of Golden & Silver Age "9.8" books, of course.)

Actually, I am not jaded. That 9.9 has to be pratically unread. Typical of the issue. Be perfectly cut...yada, yada, yada. And those conditions, are not all that common, especially when the local loitering fanboy decides to finger every copy.

It is more difficult to get a comic book 9.9 graded then breeding a Best of Breed Schnauzer.

Not only is a 9.9 unread... it better not even have any fingerprints.

(Or so I hear.) grin.gif

Any nearly-imperceptible mistakes at the factory probably knock

an otherwise perfect (and untouched) copy "down" to 9.8.

Unless it's a much older book, then a whole other set of rules apply. yeahok.gif

(Judging solely from scans of Golden & Silver Age "9.8" books, of course.)

I've got a sure bet 10.0 posted in the grading thread Omega #2 insane.gif

Methinks that there are a bunch of suckers out there. But if they want to waste their money that way..... it's their money.

True. You can't control what other people do with their money. Sometimes it's hard enough controlling what you do with your own money, no? grin.gif

What I find amazing is there's 1084 9.8s and ZERO 9.9s.

Not if we're talking mounds of 9.8 pre-screens for those 9.8 subs or a special order by a large reseller. In that case, CGC would be looking for 9.8's, so why grade anything higher.

Not if we're talking mounds of 9.8 pre-screens for those 9.8 subs or a special order by a large reseller. In that case, CGC would be looking for 9.8's, so why grade anything higher.

Not to mention the fact that it's likely the number of 9.9 and 10.0 slabs are artifically manipulated.

Not to mention the fact that it's likely the number of 9.9 and 10.0 slabs are artifically manipulated.

Don't you mean arbitrarily manipulated? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Don't you mean arbitrarily manipulated? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

That too! acclaim.gif

We've become a bit "jaded" to think that if it's a new book,

it must be near perfect condition (or, at least 9.8) most of the time.

Pre-screening might make that appear true...

I wasn't thinking about money or value, just the odds. If there are 1084 9.8s the odds are a certain percentage of THOSE might be actually 9.6 or 9.9. It's just seems reality defying to find zero, out nearly 1100, that would make that higher end on a subjective condition scale. It's like the opinion of 9.9 gets stifled, but for 9.6??, shoot, go for it. They can find those. yeahok.gif