• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrating the work of Steve Ditko
2 2

95 posts in this topic

Steve's having moved around to several publishers gave us a lot of interesting work to choose from. Obviously, SOME of his comics are quite expensive, while others remain very affordable, giving the Ditko fan on the tightest of budgets an opportunity to still participate in collecting! 

Beware the Creeper 1 front.jpg

An interesting bit of history is that it was Steve that gave Marvel it's unifying symbol, the Marvel Comics Group 12c corner box, which he drew on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #2 cover dated May 1963. Due to the publishing schedule, the corner box actually appeared a little before Spidey #2 hit the stands, with the April cover dated Journey into Mystery #91 and Patsy Walker #106. Soon the entire line would follow to create a unified newsstand appearance. Below is my Marvel copy of Amazing Spider-Man #2 and my La Prensa Mexican copy as well. I have to admit, as much as I love the corner box, I really love the logo webbing holdover from Spidey #1.

Amazing Spider-Man 2.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 2 6.5 ow-w Mexican edition front.jpg

On 2/15/2023 at 10:14 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Dude, seriously, those are incredible!!! AND both look under graded from here!!!  :applause:

The Thing has a slight bend in the cover that is hard to see that goes thru the H in Thing. It would definitely grade much higher with a press. I bought it here on the boards a few years ago.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:12 AM, jayhawker said:

The Thing has a slight bend in the cover that is hard to see that goes thru the H in Thing. It would definitely grade much higher with a press. I bought it here on the boards a few years ago.

Well, it was a great grab for sure! I really dig that cover and will need to find myself an affordable copy! Thanks for sharing those!!!  (thumbsu