• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrating the work of Steve Ditko
2 2

95 posts in this topic

I've wanted to start a Steve Ditko thread for quite some time. I searched for one and nothing came back, so if there WAS one, maybe it's been archived. (shrug) Regardless, I think this forum really should have a thread for this man and his unique abilities to illustrate in his own special style ... a style that the average comic book collector immediately identifies as his artwork! Also, he deserves quite the tip of the cap for all of the characters he's either created or co-created in his artistic career! This thread is being created to celebrate the man and his contributions to comic books! This will not be the place to discredit other comic creators! There are other places that you can do that. This is happy, this is fun ... this is the Fans of Steve Ditko thread!!! 

One thing I wanted to do with this thread is post pics of comic interiors! In this day of certification, we may not always know what's going on inside a particular comic book. 

This is the page 1 splash to Amazing Spider-Man #7. Oh, and here's the cover, as if you didn't know! :wink:

Amazing Spider-Man 7 splash.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 7.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

There are MANY comics with Steve's work that to my knowledge, haven't been reprinted. Here is a page 1 splash to a western story from Gunsmoke Western #66. The artwork is unmistakable! A rare treat to find in the back of a funny book! The splash and the cover, so you can go find one for yourself!  (thumbsu

Gunsmoke Western 66 Ditko splash.jpg

Gunsmoke Western 66.jpeg

Ok, this is my first attempt to photograph an entire story for this thread. I need to work on it, I know. It may be blurry in spots, but my heart is in the right place.

This is the Doctor Strange story from Strange Tales #143, first to last, then the cover. I will work on doing a better job of this, as I want to post stories that might be hard to find reprints of. 

Strange Tales 143 Doc splash.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 2.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 3.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 4.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 5 2.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 6.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 7.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 8.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 9.jpg

Strange Tales 143 pg 10.jpg

Strange Tales 143 front.jpeg

On 2/14/2023 at 3:03 AM, Cliff R. said:

Steve Ditko was my favorite Spider-Man artist. 

I remember seeing the change in Spidey in issue 39, and 10 year old me wasn't happy.  

Same here!.................I struggled on through the Kingpin saga, got bored and dropped the title (when Marvel was reprinted in the UK back in '73).