• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Comic Series of All-Time
3 3

70 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2023 at 5:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

For me, 90 Is at least as well-written, drawn and poignant as 121 / 122.

Key character development.  Finding out that the Captain knew & kept his secret & Spidey being blamed for his death by the girl he loves. 

Parker’s life was heavy during this period....

On 2/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, Gatsby77 said:

My favorite part of collecting Batman in the mid-90s to 2010 or so? More than any other series, you could pick up an issue from a full 40+ year span and it would generally be good.

I’d go earlier than that, especially the Grant / Breyfogle / Moench / Jones material. Starlin was quite readable as well.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I’d go earlier than that, especially the Grant / Breyfogle / Moench / Jones material. Starlin was quite readable as well.

You misunderstand - I collected Batman from 1989 - 2010 - including back issues. So while I read # 439-520 off the shelf, I also collected (and read) backwards.

At one point I owned 3 of the first 10 issues - ~40 of the first 100, and many from 200-forward.

Of that, I’d rank Batman 400-500 as one of the most iconic mainstream modern runs out there. Classic stories including # 400, Year One, 10 Nights of the Beast, Death in the Family, Year 3, Lonely Place of Dying, Dark Knight - Dark City, & Knightfall. And the others weren’t bad either.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:44 PM, Gatsby77 said:

You misunderstand - I collected Batman from 1989 - 2010 - including back issues. So while I read # 439-520 off the shelf, I also collected (and read) backwards.

At one point I owned 3 of the first 10 issues - ~40 of the first 100, and many from 200-forward.

Of that, I’d rank Batman 400-500 as one of the most iconic mainstream modern runs out there. Classic stories including # 400, Year One, 10 Nights of the Beast, Death in the Family, Year 3, Lonely Place of Dying, Dark Knight - Dark City, & Knightfall. And the others weren’t bad either.

More in agreement that Batman has been very consistently readable for a very long time, especially mid-80s onwards for me too. Also good stuff well before then, of course, that’s a given, but maybe patchier for me outside the obvious O’Neil / Adams / Englehart / Rogers / Goodwin / Aparo highlights.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Starlin’s 17 issues as Batman writer were very memorable, in addition to his writing on Batman: The Cult.  

im not a DC collector, but I was happy to come along for the ride on Batman due to Starlin’s writing.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:28 AM, Krydel4 said:

So far I have 3 Criteria for consideration for choosing a series.

1: Longevity (Minimum 100 issues or 10+ Years of Publication in an unbroken run)

2: Historical Significance/Contributions to Comics

3: Cultural Impact

So far I have 5 series. 

Adventure Comics

More Fun Comics

The Brave and the Bold

Showcase

Shonen Jump

Anyone else have a series to add or criteria that should be used?

I would like to do a poll once I've gathered the some insights.

Are they reading this thread? lol

Well, both of these fell short of 100 issues, with both finishing in the 80's,but I think they count.

James Robinson's Starman. ?81? Issues of top quality storytelling. Possibly our best look ever into the head of a superhero. 

Geoff Johns JSA. A quality story about the world's oldest super-team, and the legacy they left behind. Successful enough to be immediately rebooted.