• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 1 Grading Question: To Re-Submit or Not?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Many years ago I bought this X-Men 1 already graded CGC 2.0.  Over the years I've been interested in upgrading to a 2.5 or a 3.0, but I keep seeing books in those grades that look worse to the eye than my 2.0 does!

I researched a little and I think this book is really being hurt by the subscription crease?  From what I've read on these boards, that automatically drops it to around a VG and it can only go down from there.  Curious if that still holds true (these were older posts I saw) and if it's worth rolling the dice and having a dry-clean and press on this one and re-submitting for a new grade?

Also, here are the grader notes:

Grader Notes
heavy, multiple crease cover breaks color
multiple tear cover
split left top of spine
tape interior cover

20230216_163756.jpg

20230216_163836 (1).jpg

For reference, here's a 3.0 that a friend of mine owns.  Looks to have a lot more wear/tears, BUT doesn't have a subscription crease

0105222221a_4.jpg

Edited by UncleAnwar

The subscription crease alone isn’t the real issue. I think the spine split and multiple tears are what is really affecting the grade. I agree with the others here. Your book is unlikely to improve in grade. That being said, you don’t risk much by re-submitting (other than cost). I suspect CCS will decline the c&p due to the spine splits and the book will be regraded as is. Who knows, you might get a 2.5. It’s already a great looking 2.0 holy grail though. Up to you. Thanks for posting.

Its such a nice looking 2.0 that I wouldn't let the book out of my hands just to risk damage from shipping (shaken comic,) or pressing or even loss in transit. I would take a nice looking 2.0 over a weak and poorly presenting 3.0 every time. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and judging from what you have said, I think you already know that. Congrats on a nice copy!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

GPA Sales history - 12 month and 90 day average

2.0  -  $7487 down  $6226 down (17% down)
1.8   -  $6851 down  $4500 down (34% down)
1.5   -  $5571 even   $4601 down (17% down)
1.0   -  $6142 down  $4575 down (26% down)

Bumped grades

2.5  -  $8709 down  $6700 down  ($2009) difference
3.0  -  $9903 down  $7980 down  ($1923) difference

Since 2009,  I resubmitted 8 books for re-grading without pressing.  Upgraded by 1 point (1st generation label), two unchanged grades (both 2nd generation labels), 3 downgraded by 1 point and half point (two 1st generation and 2nd generation labels) and 2 unchanged but are restored (both 1st generation labels).

So, I made one nice profit on one copy, little waste of money on two unchanged graded copies, lost (15%) on each downgraded copy and lost more than 50% on both restored copies.   You may have a risk of either downgrading and the restoration is detected.

They may miss the restoration on X-Men #1  -  you have 16% chance to receive the purple or green label and CGC is tight with the grades so far, you have 23.5% chance to receive the downgraded blue universal label.  The old fragile book may be damaged during the transit that can downgrade easily.

I hope the numbers will help you decide.

Since the sales go down nowadays, I would buy either 2.5 or 3.0 and sell 2.0 copy.  It depends on how much you paid for your 2.0 copy and you know the cost difference.