• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hellboy live action movie in the works

35 posts in this topic

Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2023/02/16/new-live-action-hellboy-film-in-the-works-exclusive/

> We have learned that, following the recent failure of the 2019 David Harbour-led Hellboy reboot, Millennium Media is looking to give the IP another shot and is actively developing a new live-action Hellboy film, one which has already been written with a director attached.

Taylor's work as a director was previously defined by his collaborations with former creative partner Mark Neveldine. The pair, credited as "Neveldine/Taylor" in the 2000s, directed the two Jason Statham-starring Crank movies, plus the Ghost Rider sequel, and the Gerard Butler-starring sci-fi thriller Gamer. They also previously wrote the -script for the Jonah Hex movie. After the two went off to work on their own, Taylor collaborated with Grant Morrison on the television adaptation of Happy! for SYFY. Despite the varied success with their projects, that they have history with comic book adaptations is a plus.

I hate to get in the mindset of some on here. But after reading this...

"I wonder who will play Hellboy in the reboot after this one?"

:p

On 2/16/2023 at 6:54 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2023/02/16/new-live-action-hellboy-film-in-the-works-exclusive/

> We have learned that, following the recent failure of the 2019 David Harbour-led Hellboy reboot, Millennium Media is looking to give the IP another shot and is actively developing a new live-action Hellboy film, one which has already been written with a director attached.

the fans failed the last movie, not the other way around.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:00 AM, Bird said:

No, the studio did that. Fans should not be expected to just turn up and throw money blindly at whatever the next iteration of thing-we-love.

Fans actively made it clear they didn't support the studios choice to not let Guillermo del Toro direct (didn't offer him chance to write it either, only a producers credit to slap his name on it) and they wanted Perlman back (who was happy to return so long as Del Toro was involved), and with the studio ignoring everything the fans wanted the project was soured in our eyes before they even started production.

On 2/17/2023 at 8:00 AM, Bird said:

On 2/17/2023 at 10:15 AM, Sauce Dog said:

No, the studio did that. Fans should not be expected to just turn up and throw money blindly at whatever the next iteration of thing-we-love.

Fans actively made it clear they didn't support the studios choice to not let Guillermo del Toro direct (didn't offer him chance to write it either, only a producers credit to slap his name on it) and they wanted Perlman back (who was happy to return so long as Del Toro was involved), and with the studio ignoring everything the fans wanted the project was soured in our eyes before they even started production.

1. The producers hired a capable director due to his success with Game of Thrones
  2. The producers then proceeded to second-guess the director throughout
  3. The producers then fired the director during editing and did it themselves

What Went Wrong With Hellboy

Allegedly, a producer of the movie stepped on the director's toes with some frequency, contradicting the instructions he was trying to give the actors. Also allegedly, star David Harbour was at multiple times frustrated enough to simply walk off the set during shooting. Further, rumors suggest the -script was being re-written while the movie was in production, which might help to explain the story's overall disjointed feel.

Yup. The fans!

While the Harbour-led reboot tried (and failed) to recapture that magic, Taylor wants to take his version in a new direction. Speaking to his love of the franchise, he told Weintraub about his intentions of following the darker Crooked Man run of the comics, saying:

"first of all, I love the character of Hellboy and my favorite run of the character is this particular era. The GDT movies were massive scale space operas and just pure Del Toro through and through. But some of the comics Mike (Mignola) was doing at the time had a very different feeling. More lean and mean, creepy folk horror. A younger Hellboy, wandering the dark corners of the world... Paranormal investigator, night stalker... The Crooked Man in particular is just such an iconic book—written by Mike, drawn by Richard Corben, another legend. Set in the late 50s. For me it’s my favorite version of the character. So the appeal of this one to me, is to go back to that and do a real reset, and really give us that version of Hellboy, which I just don't think we've seen yet."

On 2/17/2023 at 10:15 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I think we agree. the fans didn't judge the movie, they pre-judged it. I liked it. I was the only one in the theater! The "fans" felt entitled to something that doesn't exist so they hurt the thing that did exist out of spite, with no regards to the merit of it on its' own. I am a fan, a huge one, and I went to see it to give it a chance. Was it great, no. But it was very good and great in spots.

Will the "fans" now boycott The Crooked Man?

On 2/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, Bird said:

I think we agree. the fans didn't judge the movie, they pre-judged it. I liked it. I was the only one in the theater! The "fans" felt entitled to something that doesn't exist so they hurt the thing that did exist out of spite, with no regards to the merit of it on its' own. I am a fan, a huge one, and I went to see it to give it a chance. Was it great, no. But it was very good and great in spots.

Will the "fans" now boycott The Crooked Man?

I think you are ignoring some of what took place at the time.

With Guillermo del Toro and Ron Perlman receiving large fan response to pitching Hellboy 3, they went forward with approaching Mike Mignola. That was when they discovered Mignola and the studio had changed course because with the original film being a sequel to Hellboy 2 with Perlman but not del Toro (which Perlman would not do without the original director), a reboot was established. So the entire Hellboy 3 concept was abandoned, though there was large demand for finishing the original trilogy. Which didn't make sense to fans of the first two movies.

Was the reboot trash? No. Was it mangled due to studio tampering? Yes. Which news came out prior to its release how the producers and Neil Marshall warred on set. Even the title (Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen) was shortened to just 'Hellboy' because it was feared going full-horror by the studio. Yet it had been announced by Mignola and David Harbour how gory this film would be. Which it was. Yet the title was handled like Disney with John Carter: Warlord of Mars to an underwhelming 'John Carter'.

So a few contributors to its failure. And not by fan sabotage or spite.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

and a new character Mike Mignola created just for this film”

…but why? Stick to the -script that was written years ago. There’s a reason the source material is so popular. 

Dark Horse Comics has revealed that Mike Mignola's epic Hellboy saga will be published in an absolutely massive anthology, Monster-Sized Hellboy, befitting the hero's larger-than-life legacy and personality. The iconic Dark Horse character's main story will be collected in one enormous edition full of the world’s greatest paranormal investigator’s dealings with the bizarre and supernatural. The book is a must-have for fans of Hellboy and his colleagues in the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense as they confront the forces of evil, and that’s not even the only surprise lurking in the shadows.

Dark Horse has just announced that Monster-Sized Hellboy will be a 1500+ page collection with stories written by Mike Mignola, and featuring artwork by him and later collaborator Duncan Fegredo with colors by Dave Stewart. The anthology will contain all the stories and graphic novels from the Hellboy Omnibus Volumes 1-4, which were published in 2018. Monster-Sized Hellboy will also come with a brand-new cover from Mike Mignola.

The volume collects tons of classic and fan-favorite Hellboy miniseries and stories, including Seeds of Destruction, Wake the Devil, and "Wolves of St. August," "The Chained Coffin" and "Almost Colossus" from The Chained Coffin and The Right Hand of Doom; Conqueror Worm, Strange Places, Into the Silent Sea and "The Right Hand of Doom," "Box Full of Evil" and "Being Human" from The Right Hand of Doom and B.P.R.D Being Human; Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt and The Storm and the Fury, and the short story "The Mole;" as well as Hellboy in Hell Volumes 1-2, "The Magician and the Snake" and "The Exorcist of Vorsk."

Just weeks after being announced, the latest Hellboy film has wrapped production. Sunday, Hellboy creator Mike Mignola revealed the production wrapped principal photography, which had been underway in Bulgaria. Though exact dates aren't available, it's believed The Crooked Man started in April, meaning the film shot for no more than seven weeks. Regardless, Mignola himself is already calling the project the most faithful Hellboy adaptation to date.

"I wasn't on set for this one but they have been nice enough to send me dailies and I have to say I have loved what I've been seeing," Mignola said in a post on Instagram. "If fans have been waiting for a Hellboy film that is actually an adaptation of one of my stories I think they are finally going to get one."

"Congratulations to director Brian Taylor and a really wonderful cast--And to co-writer Chris Golden who did so much to figure out how to give the studio what they wanted and still keep true to the heart and soul of THE CROOKED MAN, my favorite of the Hellboy stories," the writer added. "I wish Richard Corben was still around to see this--They did a wonderful job bringing his really horrific character to life."

Posted (edited)

News has been flying around that they used AI for the creature designs in the new Hellboy movie, however the the director clarified and said he misspoke and the new Hellboy did NOT AI for the creature designs but rather he meant he used AI for another movie The Offering.

However...here is the thing, I'm not sure I can fully believe it at this point, as we know stuidos want to avoid negative press and apparently the director also said that the Hellboy movie characters are 100% practical and have "no cgi enhancement".... and we all know that when a studio and staff are touting the 'all practical / no CGI' lines during production & marketing it is nothing more than a pile of lies. Hope it isn't the case and this project is AI free.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 5/2/2024 at 8:55 AM, D84 said:

Who thinks this will be worse than the comedy classic staring David Harbour?

I get the vibe there is less studio interference going on so far, so that alone makes it sound like it will turn out better (though I didn't HATE the Harbour one...I just didn't like it as a single sit down movie experience)