• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is most profitable

7 posts in this topic

I have a G.I.JOE #21 THE SILENT ISSUE THE RENEGNAR EDITION SIGNED BY MICHAEL TURNER with certificate I'd like to sale but want to be fair in pricing as well as learn what the value increase/ cost would be to have slabbed approx..I'm  Not sure what the value is now because everyone I see is already graded and /or also none are  simply signed by  only michael turner and none are  exclusively for graham cracker comics mine is  1 of only 150 and all others I see are in range of 2000 and 2500 issues any help would.be very appreciated also have other gijoe comics that are blue silver and platinum foils but none are signed wondering what those may cost to get graded but the 1st on of course main concern at the moment thanks to admin  for adding me to your group also  

IMG_20230109_082340825.jpg

IMG_20230108_181725_410.jpg

IMG_20230109_082321468.jpg

IMG_20230108_174300222.jpg

IMG_20230108_181726_273.jpg

Welcome to the boards!

I won't address the cost of grading because @Ironic took care of that.

You should be aware that if you were to send this book to be graded, CGC would not certify the authenticity of the signature.  From their perspective, this is a book with writing on the cover.  It could get a green (qualified) label that ignores the writing when determining the numeric grade, or it could get a blue (standard/unqualified/unrestored) label.  However, with the blue label the book would be downgraded because it has writing on the cover.

Your book would never sell for as much as a certified yellow-label copy, but you can get a rough idea of the MOST one might go for by searching eBay completed auctions.

A search of sold CGC Certified yellow label copies turns up several copies that have sold recently.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=GI+Joe+21+renegar+cgc+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

One of those was graded CGC 9.6, with a Mike Zeck signature, and it sold for a "Best Offer" somewhere under $250.   I don't believe a Turner signature has significantly more value than a Zeck signature (although I'm sure somebody here will speak up if they disagree).  I would say this means that, in its current state, your book would be likely to sell for less than, perhaps a lot less than, $250.  

My recommendation would be to take a lot of really good photos that show the condition really well, making sure to get pictures of the corners, the spine, and pictures from an angle that would show impressions on the cover.  Then post the book on eBay and see what the market decides it's worth.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Welcome to the boards! ........Then post the book on eBay and see what the market decides it's worth.

Hi, only thing to add here, (without teaching anyone how to suck eggs,) is that you may want to set a sensible reserve or bottom line first bid to avoid the risk of it selling for $1 plus shipping. :peace:

another thing you can CONSIDER doing is if you don't find an exact comparison in your research is to price it on ebay obviously too high and try to field offers, to at least get a general sense of where the pricing should be.

Another way to get a fair price (though maybe not the best price) and a guaranteed sale is to simply put your book up for auction.  Take some high quality pics, and you don't have to learn anything about grading, market comparisons, the industry, anything.  Just sit back and collect cash.

As stated above, make sure you're looking at SOLD listings for price comparisons.  Anyone can ask for any price, that doesn't mean anyone will buy for that price.

But very generally, I don't think this is worth slabbing (and you'd get a qualified green label, as others have said) UNLESS you get a 9.9 or 10.0 grade, which doesn't seem likely based on photos provided.

good luck.