• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMPRESSIVE HERITAGE RESULTS

11 posts in this topic

All this tells me is that:

(1) It's a good time to be selling out of your collectibles because you can get top dollar for certain items

and

(2) It's a good time to be an auction house (full disclosure: I'm a Sotheby's shareholder)

The time to buy collectibles for investment was long ago.

All this tells me is that:

(1) It's a good time to be selling out of your collectibles because you can get top dollar for certain items

and

(2) It's a good time to be an auction house (full disclosure: I'm a Sotheby's shareholder)

The time to buy collectibles for investment was long ago.

Delicattesen KNOWS you cant 'time' the market yet he is trying. He is WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KK

Delicattesen KNOWS you cant 'time' the market yet he is trying. He is WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And hyping/pumping OA values, telling people to buy now - even taking out student loans to do so - in anticipation of riches beyond the dreams of avarice somehow does not qualify as "market-timing"? confused-smiley-013.gif

For the record, I do not agree with your statement that one cannot time the market. I might agree with the statement that you (KrazyKat) cannot time the market, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This article is ridiculous. "Gold hits a 16-year high today. The Dollar falls to its lowest mark against the euro." The dollar is at a 3-year high against the euro! Somebody doesn't understand how to read foreign exchange rates. foreheadslap.gif

What does the falling standard for the Dollar mean for collectors?

I don't know, why don't you ask me when the dollar is actually falling instead of rising just about every day. confused-smiley-013.gif

"Inherent in this type of situation is the reality that at present the Dollar is not worth as much as it has been, or as much as we hope and trust it will be in the future. We all want to see a strong Dollar, but at the same time it's only prudent to make sure that we're planning wisely," he said.

"Many collectors who sold items for what were at the time record prices even in the last few years dearly wish they had them back now, since they have outperformed the Dollar itself and many other investments. This will only accelerate with the present market conditions," Snyder said. "Consider this: The buying power of a penny in the early 1800s is now worth $3-4 dollars according to most Dollar watchers."

There is the foreign exchange value of the dollar and the buying power of the dollar today versus the past as eroded by inflation. I'm not sure the former means a whole lot to the vast majority of U.S.-based investors and, as for the latter, we all know that there is inflation and the purchasing power of the dollar erodes, but is there something that's changed to make people want to put their money in collectibles?

Furthermore, have collectibles really outperformed "many other investments" in "the last few years"? I guess compared to owning stock in GM or the airlines that might be true, but the broad averages are up huge in the last 3 years while whole swaths of the market made triple-digit returns during that time. And we all know how great real estate has performed in most areas this decade - can anyone really say with a straight face that collectibles have been the place to be?

I know there are some brewing inflation worries out there (I'm pretty agnostic on the issue myself), but is the smart move really to put your money in comic book art? I know collectibles did well in the last inflationary period we had, but, back then, that stuff was actually cheap. I can't see many rational people looking to preserve their purchasing power by paying for this stuff which is already up an order of magnitude or more in some cases in the past 10-15 years. If there is going to be inflation, I can think of much better investment alternatives. And if this housing market weakness of late turns into a full-blown rout, being in comic book art is about the last place you're going to want to be.

Of course, for those of us buying what we like at prices we are comfortable with, it doesn't really matter. It might, on the other hand, matter to people who sink money into the market on a shoestring budget or take out loans (like KrazyKat recommended) to buy art. I also get the feeling, though, that many collectors who say they don't plan to sell and aren't fazed by market swings will still be popping Paxil by the handful if the market really were to take a big dive.

I also get the feeling, though, that many collectors who say they don't plan to sell and aren't fazed by market swings will still be popping Paxil by the handful if the market really were to take a big dive.

I don't believe this to be true at all! I know a ton of the biggest, fattest collectors out there and most would welcome a turnaround so that they could buy more for less. I include dealers in this group as well. I would love it if the price for a Buscema Silver Surfer cover plunged to $7500, because I'd love to be able to buy one or two more at that price. I'd welcome a chance to buy a couple more Buckler/Sinnott FF covers for 5k apiece. Or, howabout a few Romita Spider-man covers for 10k a piece. Aaack! Of course, people may refuse to sell at those prices as it represents a huge decline but then that would just limit the supply which would drive prices back up. Bottom line- as prices trend downward there are going to be a ton of collectors and dealers jumping in to support prices back upward. Just look at what is happening to the Byrne Xmen cover market right now. Albert Moy just bought 3 as prices dropped. A dealer stepped in and now those covers are off the market at low price levels. The next one will probably go for more, or he or another dealer will just step in and take it off the market. We arent at the beginning folks, but we sure as heck arent' at the end either... DF

Dummy,...the article is from last November. My point was that we are in a Bullish uptrend and sellers may regret selling at what seems to be 'today's high'.

KK

Why are you posting 1-year old+ articles?? foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gif