• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Breakdown On Grading Comics?

17 posts in this topic

I was able to send in some of my comics a year ago to CGC for grading.Back then when I recieved my copies they were graded at the grade they... I guess deserved.Now knowing that prices on submission have increased, would it be good for them when you recieved back your comic a "Break Down" on how they came to that final grade? smile.gif

would it be good for them when you recieved back your comic a "Break Down" on how they came to that final grade?

It certainly would be a good idea.

You can obtain the graders notes over the phone from CGC, but I don't think you will get too many disagreements here that the printed grading notes should be included with newly certified books.

You can never have too much information.

For example,

I called in for grader's notes on a Spidey #129 CGC 9.4...all they had was:

"Fingerprints on back cover" confused.gif

Thanks for all of the in depth help! I'm sure the 9.4 has more flaws to it smirk.gif

There should be some sort of accountability to the work that any "Professional",in this case graders to there work and how they arrive to their conclusion.Plus it give the non-Professional an insight on how they are graded with a written report....

Should the "graders notes" be mailed back with your submissions?

The ideal solution would be to have the "graders notes" available when you access the certification data through the Collectors Society website....JMO... grin.gif

What a novel idea!! wink.gif

I just wonder if we get to see the same notes CGC does when they pull the data up from their database. Isn't there also a hardcopy piece of paper that accompanies the book through the grading process? Steve gave a real nice detailed account of what happens when a book enters the "CGC Black Box", but I can't recall the thread, and don't remember if each grader enters their notes into a database, or via hardcopy....

I can't recall the thread, and don't remember if each grader enters their notes into a database, or via hardcopy....
Into a database, and I think it's mostly the pre-grader who types up any notes.

I began to think about this yesterday, and now it's clear to me--you can't document every defect on a book, and if CGC released the grader's notes on a printed piece of paper with every book, we'd all be complaining about how incomplete the grader's notes are.

I don't know that there's a solution to this problem that wouldn't cost a lot more time and therefore money.

Have any of you members have CGC copys of multiply copys of 8.0 or 9.0 or even 9.2 and high and look at each one and thought how this one was a vf/nm and not higher, when you put them together and compare?

Have any of you members have CGC copys of multiply copys of 8.0 or 9.0 or even 9.2 and high and look at each one and thought how this one was a vf/nm and not higher, when you put them together and compare?

Yep, happens all the time.

What you have to remember though is that CGC downgrade/ upgrade for defects that can't always be seen through the holder. Thats where the graders notes come in.

What you have to remember though is that CGC downgrade/ upgrade for defects that can't always be seen through the holder.

I find you can actually notice certain defects more when the book is encased...that is if the defect is visible from the outside...