• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help noobie with fantastic Four

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I recently found box of comics I had collected as a child. Two caught my attention and was wondering if they have any value in the poor condition they are in.

I am considering getting them graded and protected if it's worth the cost.

Please let me know if it would be worth spending the cost of cgc for them. I have seen a comic shop selling the #3 in same condition, ripped cover for $1100. That seems high to me.

20230225_153349.jpg

20230225_091803.jpg

Edited by egnjohn
Text error

On 2/25/2023 at 12:40 PM, egnjohn said:

Two caught my attention and was wondering if they have any value in the poor condition they are in.  I am considering getting them graded and protected if it's worth the cost.  Please let me know if it would be worth spending the cost of cgc for them.

You've asked several distinct questions here.  I'll respond to each, individually.

• Yes, even Marvels in POOR condition can have significant value (especially if they're "key" early-1960s issues).
  • The best way to protect a vintage comic is to place it in a Mylar sleeve (together with an acid-free backing board).  Then, store the book in an area of your home that's protected from excessive heat, light, insects (silverfish, termites, etc), rodents, water (either excessive humidity or direct contact via pipe-burst/roof-leak/flood), and the curious hands of small children.  FYI: Museums and The Library of Congress do not send their irreplaceable paper ephemera to CGC to "protect" it.
  • Your FF #3 is referred to as a "stripped-logo remaindered" copy.  Your FF #16 is a "coverless" copy.  If it has all 8 interior wraps (aka 16 interior leaves aka 32 interior pages), it would be a "coverless but otherwise complete" copy.  Stripped-logo remaindered copies would be certified as 0.5 PR by CGC.  Coverless copies would be certified as NG by CGC.
  • You are the only person that can say whether the cost of CGC certification is "worthwhile."  Plan on spending about $80/book for that service (CGC fees+shipping fees+insurance), unless you don't mind waiting many months to have your books back in hand.

5x2.thumb.jpg.c45f498b764c3536b158488ecee522c1.jpg 5x3.thumb.jpg.a25f9891fff854e8b4958891eb1462d5.jpg 5x5.jpg.34773afd032306f102a019026e82c15a.jpgNGx6.thumb.jpg.8bc02a6d6367bb70b03ca60adedede16.jpg

Cool books.  (thumbsu  I hope this helps.  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

Every 6 month's I check FMV on my top 100 books using eBay sold auctions for the same book in the same grade, my F.F. 3 is a raw FR 1.0 and the value in June of 2022 was $700.00, in December the value dropped to $450.00, your book being a Remainder Copy would be graded at PR 0.5 so the FMV (depending on demand at the time) would be slightly lower than that, is your LCS severely overcharging for an extremely low grade book...???

Yes, a graded remainder copy may bring more than a raw copy so it all depends on your plans/preferences, are looking to keep/read the book or are you looking to sell...?

Being graded and slabbed does not provide any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board, both need to be stored in the same conditions to properly preserve the book(s).

Recently an F.F. 3 in PR 0.5 with a severely faded/scuffed cover sold for $300.00 and a CGC graded GD 2.0 sold for $380.00, you be the judge.

Your coverless F.F.16 would get a "NG" from CGC, a raw GD- 1.8 recently sold for $100.00, a coverless copy would probably be worth less than half of that.