• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cut in comic

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have a modern comic book that I am looking to grade, and was wondering if the top right corner had a 1millimeter cut out of the corner, would this affect grade? I bought yhe book from a lcs like this. I have posted a pic of the cut

20230223_184754.jpg

Would need to see pics of the entire back and front cover, out of the bag, to be able to tell. Extreme example, if the rest of the book grades 4.0 then that little chip off the corner won't matter. If the book is otherwise 9.8 then it might knock it back to 9.4 ish. Others will add what I've missed or got wrong in this regard. 

I agree with the above statement, we need to see the book in it's entirety, clear pics of the front and back covers (inside and outside), centerfold and pics of the defect in relation to the rest of the book.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Also, even if that were a Bindery tear, you would not get a NM 9.4 according to the grading standards, at what point does it change from a possible Bindery Defect to an Actual Corner Piece(s) Missing.

NM+ 9.6 - No bindery tears are allowed.

NM 9.4 - Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books.

NM- 9.2/VF/NM 9.0 - A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed.

VF 8.0 - A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

FN/VF 7.0 -  A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. 

VG 4.0 -  As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable.