• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA IS A COLLECTABLE - COMICS ARE NOT COLLECTABLES

31 posts in this topic

My postulation is that comics are similar to stamps and thus not 'collectables'. Comics are a niche market that is marginalized/ isolated from the 'collectables universe'. The chief categorical distinction between comics and OA is that comics are NOT unique. A chief attribute of collectables is that the item be unique. Conclusion, those that truly believe the OA market needs the comic market to survive are failing to realize that the comic market needs the OA market to survive and not the other way around.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

My postulation is that comics are similar to stamps and thus not 'collectables'. Comics are a niche market that is marginalized/isolated from the 'collectables universe'. The chief categorical distinction between comics and OA is that comics are NOT unique. A chief attribute of collectables is that the item be unique. Conclusion, those that truly believe the OA market needs the comic market to survive are failing to realize that the comic market needs the OA market to survive and not the other way around.

God help me Goldust, but I'm going to answer him.

OA is less of a collectible than comics due to their much, much narrower base of collectors. Comics ARE NOT dependent on the OA market.

Get a clue.

36_12_18.gif

Conclusion, those that truly believe the OA market needs the comic market to survive are failing to realize that the comic market needs the OA market to survive and not the other way around.

I must respectfully dissagree with you.

If there is no comic market who if going to buy original art then.

The comic market survies without orginal art market but the OA market cannot survive on its own.

Take a look at any comic people really want. When its a popular series people will go after the books and pages. But if the series did [embarrassing lack of self control] and no one cared you couldnt give the pages away.

the comic market needs the OA market to survive and not the other way around.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted on this board. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Even you, as obviously insane as you are, cannot be so far detached from reality to believe that's true.

A chief attribute of collectables is that the item be unique

Huh? What about Bowen statues? (Or those Precious Moments statues my grandmother colelcts)? The ONLY reason they are created is to be collected - and they are mass produced.

I'm sure there are countless other examples like this out there.

I believe the auction establishment originated the definition based on the type of material they auction as collectables (ie: Hollywood/ TV Paraphenlia). And that while clearly the term is used outside the High-end context - your example -- if one wanted to define a collectable by 'what major auction houses sell' as collectables than uniqueness is a CHIEF characteristic.

My postulation is that comics are similar to stamps and thus not 'collectables'. Comics are a niche market that is marginalized/ isolated from the 'collectables universe'. The chief categorical distinction between comics and OA is that comics are NOT unique. A chief attribute of collectables is that the item be unique. Conclusion, those that truly believe the OA market needs the comic market to survive are failing to realize that the comic market needs the OA market to survive and not the other way around.

Why do you go on to prove time and time again that you are a Nitz (yes i'll take credit for that word) by inciting people? Do you have a persecution complex? Without a comic market, there is no OA market....it cannot exist...it is not the affection of OA that draws people to comics, but the love of comics over a lifetime that draws people into OA...on the other hand you could just be trying to get a rise out of everyone and really don't care either way, cause if you did, you'd show us your OA.... shy.gif

Im trying to 'flesh out' issues. If that makes me a problem,... than fine,..I'm a problem.

If you want to take it upon yourself to "flesh out" issues, then you cannot have a pre-determined agenda. Some one said once "the hardest thing to open is a closed mind"...or something along those lines.... tongue.gifhow can you be looking for truth in any given issue if you are not open to both sides, and as far as OA goes, your mind is more than made up. makepoint.gif

Kudos to being directly involved in having CGC start the OA column, even though it has nothing to do with graded comics...very generous on their part. Now you should play nice on their front lawn and get your facts straight before starting a brawl.... gossip.gif

Technically speaking, this is my side of the lawn. And it is kinda funny having you here, telling me what I owe CGC and so forth. Almost rude. That said, I will let you know that I planned this so its difficult for me to take umbrage of the nexus between our two universes. I just find it unfortunate that people dont have any sense of diplomacy. My plan was always to link 'comic $$' with 'OA'. I have never shied away from this facr so I dont get why everyone is getting all 'worked up'. That was always the plan. And I always said so.

However, I now have a bigger and much broader plan that has initiated itself. It revolves around positioning among competing market segments. Collectables, Fine Art, and OA as its own market. Its part of my,.."Triangulation" Campaign.

dude, there no "nexus between umbrage 893blahblah.gif" and i ain't telling you what you owe to CGC. I'm just trying to tell you in the nicest way that your facts are not facts a lot of the time and you won't win a debate that way. I think that the gap has been bridged between the two markets...now there is a 3rd?

foreheadslap.gif

I just find it unfortunate that people dont have any sense of diplomacy.

I agree. I find it particularly rude and off-putting when someone posts, again and again, how stupid people are for collecting comics.

popcorn.gif

I just find it unfortunate that people dont have any sense of diplomacy.

I agree. I find it particularly rude and off-putting when someone posts, again and again, how stupid people are for collecting comics.

popcorn.gif

Most off-putting. Especially when they post those remarks in the comics forum.

popcorn.gif

How long are you guys going to hold a grudge about that ? I havent 'knocked' comics in a long, long, long, long, long time.

K

Really.

So stating that comic aren't collectibles and OA is. That wasn't meant to knock comics?

893naughty-thumb.gif