• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #120 with unwitnessed interior John Byrne signature
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have been working through my run of X-Men and came across a John Byrne signature on the first interior page of my X-Men #120 (1st cameo of Alpha Flight). I was considering submitting this for the Chris Claremont signature series but wondering how this interior writing might affect the grade. Does anyone know and if so, would it be better to submit to CBCS for signature verification. I did not have this book personally signed -- I didn't even know the signature was there until I went to grade it -- but it looks legit.

Here are the scans and a photo of the interior page:

35891576_X-Men120-1.thumb.jpg.ccd3bf175503e2cce8b98e28899c9eda.jpg

1641107577_X-Men120-2.thumb.jpg.23330ea38ffa74b7726b1620ab7062a2.jpg

1424658844_X-Men120-3.thumb.jpg.1eb746619aba67d77f0256241434a1c1.jpg

Edited by atticus.fetch

On 3/2/2023 at 10:44 AM, scburdet said:

You would get a yellow label for CC, and a thin green qualified strip above. Looks around a 9.0/9.2 otherwise

signature-series-qualified.jpg?cb=2018-04-23

Do you have to do anything special on the submission to denote this request?

Also, which would be better to submit to the CC SS: this one or X-Men #121 (1st full appearance of Alpha Flight) in even better condition (9.4-9.6 in my estimation) or both?

Also, is anyone familiar with how CBCS would handle the interior signature? Would they verify it and slap a yellow label on it?

I am not familiar with the CBCS process other than knowing they do sig verification. The downside to slabbing this one is that the unverified signature will be inside. A green label where you can see the signature allows a buyer to do their own amateur verification. Taking anything on faith with collectables is dicey. Beyond that, you just have to assess based on sales/personal preference whether the investment in signature is worthwhile. Sign/grade is going to be more expensive unless you have a standard tier book, where it will be about the same cost, or a higher tier book where it could be cheaper. A lot of collectors thumb their noses at signed blue chip books, other collectors love them. There's no real rule here other than what you want personally.

That's a very presentable copy that you have there. My guess is that it would come in somewhere between 8.5-9.2. If you submit the book to CGC for the Clairmont signing, you will automatically receive the yellow and green label that @atticus.fetch referenced. I'm not a huge fan of green labels because they usually suggest some kind of exception or defect to the book worth noting. If you submit the book to CBCS for their verified signature program, the book will comeback slabbed in one of their yellow labels. They use the same label for both verified and witnessed signatures (assuming it's authentic of course)...

On 3/2/2023 at 3:30 PM, Nilo2 said:

That's a very presentable copy that you have there. My guess is that it would come in somewhere between 8.5-9.2. If you submit the book to CGC for the Clairmont signing, you will automatically receive the yellow and green label that @atticus.fetch referenced. I'm not a huge fan of green labels because they usually suggest some kind of exception or defect to the book worth noting. If you submit the book to CBCS for their verified signature program, the book will comeback slabbed in one of their yellow labels. They use the same label for both verified and witnessed signatures (assuming it's authentic of course)...

So which do you think is more valuable: submit to the CC signature series and get a yellow/green label with a mention of some writing inside or submit to CBCS and potentially get a yellow label for a verified Byrne signature forgoing the Claremont signature. I already have a dozen other books in similar condition I am considering submitting for the CC signature (including a better condition #121).

On 3/2/2023 at 6:59 PM, atticus.fetch said:

So which do you think is more valuable: submit to the CC signature series and get a yellow/green label with a mention of some writing inside or submit to CBCS and potentially get a yellow label for a verified Byrne signature forgoing the Claremont signature. I already have a dozen other books in similar condition I am considering submitting for the CC signature (including a better condition #121).

I would submit this particular book to CBCS and the others to CGC for the Clairmont signature. At some point, Clairmont will probably do a signing event with CBCS and you can submit #120 then. Just my two cents though.

8.5/9.0

It's not going to get the Qualified label since the signature is on the interior splash page.

Here's a higher grade example:

882327085_Grendel1.thumb.jpg.41762baf3a2b37d1ad239680533a9fc3.jpg2116894912_Grendel1b.thumb.jpg.14bf48303f3c6bdddac62e9a943214e7.jpg

This was a Universal 9.2 before I cracked it. No way I wasn't going to look at that interior sketch.

Thanks for posting.

On 3/2/2023 at 6:53 PM, atticus.fetch said:

I have been working through my run of X-Men and came across a John Byrne signature on the first interior page of my X-Men #120 (1st cameo of Alpha Flight). I was considering submitting this for the Chris Claremont signature series but wondering how this interior writing might affect the grade. Does anyone know and if so, would it be better to submit to CBCS for signature verification. I did not have this book personally signed -- I didn't even know the signature was there until I went to grade it -- but it looks legit.

Here are the scans and a photo of the interior page:

35891576_X-Men120-1.thumb.jpg.ccd3bf175503e2cce8b98e28899c9eda.jpg

1641107577_X-Men120-2.thumb.jpg.23330ea38ffa74b7726b1620ab7062a2.jpg

1424658844_X-Men120-3.thumb.jpg.1eb746619aba67d77f0256241434a1c1.jpg

As someone who enjoys the art of essay writing, I can relate to the passion and dedication that goes into collecting and analyzing comic books. Writing essays allows me to explore my interests and delve deeper into various topics, providing an opportunity for self-expression and sharing knowledge. It's a way to celebrate the rich tapestry of storytelling and artistic expression found within the comic book medium. For my hobby, I usually use this site https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/cyber-bullying/ with essay examples which gives me inspiration for my own essays. If you have any more experiences or anecdotes related to comic book collecting or if there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, I'm here to listen and engage in conversation. Feel free to share your thoughts or ask any questions. Happy collecting!

Wow, what a find! If you're thinking of submitting it for the Chris Claremont signature series, you might be wondering how the interior writing could affect the grade. I'm not sure about that specifically, but you could consider reaching out to CBCS for signature verification. 

Edited by AlbertMil