• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Supersnipe V2 #1 (#2)
2 2

5 posts in this topic

For a book that's almost 80yrs old it still has a very fresh feel to it. The main defects I see are with the BC and what looks like some chew from some type of critter on the bottom half of the spine. Even though the cover is attached with one staple in the center it is firmly attached. There was some writing on the TRFC but at this grade it shouldn't make a difference I would think.

I would really appreciate feedback on this one.

20230304_142411.jpg

20230304_142420.jpg

20230304_142428.jpg

20230304_142434.jpg

20230304_142439.jpg

20230304_142527.jpg

20230304_142556.jpg

20230304_142353.jpg

It took me a few minutes to figure out the perspective on the spine photo. I'm going with 5.0. My read in the guide is there seems to be more leniency than I would expect for chews, if that's what it is. I think you get a little lucky b/c you can't really see them from a top down view. It looks like the impression from the writing could be pressed out if you were to roll the dice.

I'm gonna go with a 4.5 here, although I bet the margin of error on grade predictions will be higher than normal for this book. Any time you have a copy whose defects don't follow the traditional damage patterns, it makes it a lot harder to predict how the graders will suss things out. Relevant defects: the omnomnom'ed spine (obviously), slight spine roll, piece out of UL BC, that book-length "reader's crease"-like fold to the BC, that tear/missing chunk (it's hard to tell) near the UL FC, and a few minor other hits (FC LR corner trauma, BC bottom, etc.).

The writing imprint at UR is utterly irrelevant at this grade (and GA books rarely take a meaningful hit for such markings anyway). I would absolutely not get this pressed, at least in the conventional manner, because you do not want to correct this book's spine roll. Doing so will move that chew damage to be more clearly visible from the front, and that would be terrible. As it stands, this book is going to present way better than it's structural grade will suggest.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:43 PM, Mars76 said:

For a book that's almost 80yrs old it still has a very fresh feel to it.

I'd say! :x

Thanks for sharing.