• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The battle of Captain America Comics 1 7.0 CC vs Clink
2 2

46 posts in this topic

So is this a battle of marketing departments and user base or something else?  What gives here?

A Clink 7.0 w/Cream to Off-White Pages closes on 3/1 for $201,000 and a CC copy same grade and page quality is currently at 211k with 8 days left (not including 15% BP).  Not sure the Clink copy had a BP.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:45 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

That CC photo makes the colors on their copy look sooo much brighter. Unless the colors are just that immaculate. I mean looks fresh off the newsstand. I’d probably pay more for it to with those colors.

scan enhancements or just the way the scanner produces the image ? even the CGC label seems more vivid

we've seen time and again, even here on the boards, sellers changing scanners as the end result is not reflective of reality.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/6/2023 at 10:55 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 3/6/2023 at 10:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

That CC photo makes the colors on their copy look sooo much brighter. Unless the colors are just that immaculate. I mean looks fresh off the newsstand. I’d probably pay more for it to with those colors.

scan enhancements ? even the CGC label seems more vivid

Maybe this is a good opportunity to see how grading changes over different time periods or not from a strict visual POV at least .  hm

The CL 7.0 copy of Cap 1 was graded back in March of 2003 while the CC copy was graded back in March of 2019, while this Heritage copy was graded back in October of 2012:  (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/40200-83099.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F8%2F7%2F2%2F25872671%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Interesting to note that this seemingly not quite as nice copy (relatively speaking) from a visual POV is the current high mark to date for a CGC 7.0 graded copy at $312K sold back in May of 2022.

Edit:  My bad and a needed correction here as the high water mark for a CGC 7.0 graded copy of Cap 1 was actually set by CC at $339,760.60 (i.e. hammer bid of $295,444) in an Event Auction held back in March of 2022.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

Looks like it's a good time to be buying this book...just 4 months ago a 4.5 copy sold for $194K, and 2 different 7.0 copies each sold for $310K+ last year.

I'm sure the buyer of the Promise copy graded 3.5 wishes they'd have waited as they had to shell out $240K for that one! :whatthe:

ComicLink has no BP. And from what I see they had no back cover scan either,  which is just (insert proper adjective here). The CC 7.0 does look a little nicer. In the video it does have really nice colors. The CL copy also may have as well but now we just can't tell. I do appreciate their honesty for obviously not using the brightness and contrast controls on their scanner. I mean that. 

I'm thinking the CL copy just showed up at a bad time because those who have a Cop 1 on their wish list were well aware of the CC copy by March 1st. Maybe they refrained from going after the CL copy in order to pursue the CC. If so I bet some are now wishing they hadn't. They may have been able to get it for 211,000. 

The CC copy is just about 240k right now but I doubt it will get much higher when the rollover timer begins. I'm fairly confident that whoever placed bids early on the CC copy were outbid right away which is why it's where it's at at the moment. Putting videos of the books in the auction page is a good idea too. 

On 3/6/2023 at 10:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

its clearly an enhanced scan. the over saturated label is a dead giveaway. no book has colors like that because they are so saturated in this scan that they would not even be printable. similar to what @Gotham Kidsaid.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:49 AM, mattn792 said:

Difference is simple - CC put a Quietly Exploiting Suckers sticker on their book, while CLink failed to put their competing Currently Verifying Anything sticker on their book.  Advantage, CC.

Really a case of to each their own, but highly doubt this is going to be changing anytime soon. :frown:

Especially since as you so correctly stated, that you have "suckers" who are willing to pay irrational (as opposed to modest reasonable) amounts more for a book that is just one subjective opininated condition grade higher, you will always have buyers trying to play the CPR game.  :(

And as such, they will look for any angle or shortcut that will help them to identify potential upgrades, and if a sticker on a slab gives them a far far higher batting average, so be it, they will be willing to pay more for the book which in turn encourages the consignors to have them on their books.  I guess it's really nothing more than the circle of life when it comes to certified books since grading is still more of an art than an exact science.  hm

On 3/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, grebal said:

The copy with more striking colors (I think it's the CC copy) shows a slight bleed of the red ink into the letters CAPTAIN (top left of each letter).

image.png.e49d459f2e36790db93ab8b60000606f.png

The other two copies don't appear to have this bleed. Anyone expert enough re this comic to comment on if the bleed is commonplace on Cap 1?  Is it possibly a side-effect of the scanner being adjusted to emphasize the vivid colors?

its lust slightly out of register -- Magenta/red plate printed a tad to the right of the other inks

On 3/7/2023 at 6:01 AM, Professor K said:

I'm thinking the CL copy just showed up at a bad time because those who have a Cop 1 on their wish list were well aware of the CC copy by March 1st. Maybe they refrained from going after the CL copy in order to pursue the CC. If so I bet some are now wishing they hadn't. They may have been able to get it for 211,000. 

A very astute observation on your part here and one that I would tend to agree with.  (thumbsu

We've got lots of boardies here who feel that bidders don't pay much attention to competing copies, especially if they are in slightly different grades because they claim that each copy is appealing to a completely different customer base.  Perfect case being the CGC 7.0 graded copy of Batman 1 in this coming Heritage Auction which was then completely overshadowed a week later by a CGC 8.0 graded copy of Batman 1 in the exact same auction.  If I was the consignor of the CGC 7.0 graded copy, I would be totally pisssed off and yet we had some boardies here saying the presence of having two copies in the same auction didn't matter because the CGC 7.0 copy would not appeal to the 8.0 customer base and vice versa.  :screwy:

Bottom-line:  I believe potential bidders for a particular book in most cases are generally aware of competing copies available not only internally within the same auction house, but also externally with what the other major competing auction houses have.  hm  (shrug)

It might be that my retinas are permanently damaged by the amped-up CC scan, but do I see part of a coffee cup ring on that one? (Just where Cap is whacking Hitler.)

On 3/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, AJD said:

It might be that my retinas are permanently damaged by the amped-up CC scan, but do I see part of a coffee cup ring on that one? (Just where Cap is whacking Hitler.)

There’s something causing a coffee colored discoloration.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:49 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 3/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, AJD said:

There’s something causing a coffee colored discoloration.

I guess it's what the Graders are calling a "long, thin stain center of front cover":  :gossip:

Grader Notes
light wear spine breaks color
long, thin stain center of front cover
small crease right top of front cover breaks color
small stain right top of front cover
very light subscription crease front cover
very light wear right bottom of front cover
water stain left center of back cover

My only question here is.................is it a Tim's coffee stain or a Starbuck's coffee stain and was it from Vinnie's cup or Fishler's cup?  doh!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/8/2023 at 6:32 AM, tth2 said:

ComicLink, where bidders can still find bargains!® 

I prefer the clink copy.  It doesn't appear to be heavily photoshopped or the image filters adjusted as some boardies have pointed out on the cc copy.  They also could have easily dropped some saturation filters over the video with Vince.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:32 AM, tth2 said:

ComicLink, where bidders can still find bargains!® 

Well, apparently not just ComicLink as bidders can still find bargains within Hertiage's own website itself:  :gossip:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-82-dc-1943-cgc-vg-40-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122305-19343.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #82 (DC, 1943) CGC VG 4.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Looks like this 35th highest graded copy of 'Tec 82 for a "whopping" $840 on January 29 of this year, while this 17th highest graded copy below sold for the exact same but "not quite so whopping" $840 this past Sunday or a mere 5 short weeks later.  I guess it must have been all of the FOMO driven mania brought about by the Super Bowl football fans:  :insane:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-82-dc-1943-cgc-fn-65-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122310-11285.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #82 (DC, 1943) CGC FN+ 6.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Or is it possible that as @Professor K had alluded to above, potential bidders are possibly aware of other copies coming up and might have refrained from bidding on the 17th highest graded copy when they can pursue one of the real highest graded copies out there such as the one below.  Especially with both the Heritage and CC archives indicating only one higher graded copy ever selling on their platforms, with that one being the highest graded CGC 9.2 Alfred Pennyworth Rockford copy back in 2020.  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/971895

det1.19488_1.jpg

Looks like only a week to go and we'll find out if the price of this copy gets to only $840 or below, then it really was all abut the FOMO driven rabid Super Bowl football fans driving the price.  And if it gets to say $1,785 or above (i.e. dumb simple arithmetic at 8.5/4.0 * $840 lol) then maybe potential bidders do pay attention and are indeed aware of other copies available in the marketplace.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap: