• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Avengers 196 (newsstand)
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I've been waiting for a signing opportunity to throw this one up, although the price point of the Michelinie event makes me hesitant. The most glaring defect is the two white lines perpendicular to the spine. If I did send it, the window would put the signature window right in this real estate to try & cover it up. I'm not sure what the white lines are from. They kind of resemble production ink loss, but all the examples I've seen of that are parallel to the spine & very close to the fold. There's no obvious surface abrasion or loss of gloss on the lines, but I can find no other copies with this defect. It could be production, but I have serious doubts it would be treated as such, especially since it impacts the aesthetics. The only other thing I worry about is the BRFC, the tiny creases are what they are. The little black dot looks like ink, but again doesn't look like someone hit it with a marker, hard to say though. Harder if you're looking at it in a photo, but give me your grade guess anyway.

Avengers196.jpg

Avengers196-a.jpg

Avengers196-b.jpg

Avengers196-c.jpg

Avengers196-d.jpg

Avengers196-f.jpg

Avengers196-g.jpg

Avengers196-in.jpg

PXL_20230310_174436642.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 5/1/2023 at 8:27 PM, morbius21 said:

a well placed signature

That's the hope! I managed to get a nice sketch on top of a ink lift from a thumb once. Almost guarantee that was good for 1-2 grades higher..

Pretty excited that this came back this high. It was definitely a roll of the dice with those printer lines? on the left side. Signature did a good job of partially covering them up, no notes to report. Also, I am liking the service CGC has now of uploading the images on the certification page. Image is a screen grab (sorry it's lowres, so making it large just creates pixelation), so I don't have to wait a week to share the results. I noticed they missed designating this as a newsstand on the label, albeit not a big deal if you can tell the difference between a UPC symbol and Spider-Man's head. Some people nailed this one, a few of you will have to add +3 in your ongoing grading contest score :shiftyeyes:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4250337001/

Untitled.png

Edited by scburdet

On 7/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

pen colour

I am very pleased. My experience in these in-house signings is that a lot of the guests, especially writers, stick to black for light covers, and white/silver for dark covers. The best looking ones are where they do something like this. I taped a note on the bag asking for orange or white, fully expecting white, but this is much nicer. My only regret is that George Pérez is no longer with us. Such a great example of his cover art.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:52 PM, M_M said:

Does the book have any graders' notes?

You can click that link to see there are none. I don't remember getting any notes for anything 9.4 or greater. I've got a long list of 9.0s & 9.2s that also don't have notes.