• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Comic Reader 139
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Thought about sending this to Tony Isabella signing. Ultimately, didn't think it was good enough since it's only his character, but not involved in the actual book. Think a press would help the top edge.

ComicReader-139.jpg

ComicReader-139rev.jpg

PXL_20230311_040721097.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 3/11/2023 at 8:15 PM, Mars76 said:

Do these books have any gloss on the covers? 

No, they're plain matte print (or similar). The really old ones (there are a couple for sale at MCS with scans) look like they're just 8½×11 paper folded, stapled & a postmark put on it. Some look to be printed in "portrait mode". The paper isn't typing paper, and it's higher quality than the pages of a regular comic, but we have now reached the extent of my paper knowledge.   

On 3/11/2023 at 7:15 PM, Mars76 said:

Do these books have any gloss on the covers? 

Nope

Which makes them a little tougher to grade IMO

I’d say 9.0

I don’t think that dust shadow should be allowed in 9.2 or better 2c

Great copy with no additional staple holes or address stamp (thumbsu

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

address stamp

Yeah, lots have this and I agree hard to grade. I bought a collection of them at ~$2-3 ea. Mixed grades, but the value a few probably cover the entire lot. Oddly, not a single one has an address label. A big win, I'd say.

On 3/12/2023 at 5:36 PM, scburdet said:

Yeah, lots have this and I agree hard to grade. I bought a collection of them at ~$2-3 ea. Mixed grades, but the value a few probably cover the entire lot. Oddly, not a single one has an address label. A big win, I'd say.

I picked up a near complete OO subscription run of 100-178

Most of the smaller books(pre-164) have address stamps and staple holes.  My 139 is actually one of the lower grade books in the collection unfortunately....

F62E9A62-CB62-48C1-9877-E5026CB4026B.png.078cd77af82a5a3a1a0f24ea7dd5d7a5.pngBAD9827C-F2EF-498F-B39D-A06EEB18292D.jpeg.9ebcb98e91b353ab608ce113bdda39ee.jpeg

One of the fun things about dealing with a professional that presses & submits for me is that sometimes when I throw something in the box for the sake of amusement or to ask a question, it ends up being the first thing that he jumps on.

toy story claw machine GIF