• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highest Romita Small-art Panel Page?

5 posts in this topic

Wow - I guess technically this is just short of a half-splash, but looks like the high end market is going full steam ahead - SVB default be damned 

is this the highest paid at auction for a Romita small-art panel page ever?  With all the focus right now on the Signature auction this one almost passed right by me…

John Romita Sr. and Jim Mooney Amazing Spider-Man #69 Story Page 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/john-romita-sr-and-jim-mooney-amazing-spider-man-69-story-page-11-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7344-51102.s

Edited by Verbow

On 3/11/2023 at 3:39 PM, Verbow said:

Wow - I guess technically this is just short of a half-splash, but looks like the high end market is going full steam ahead - SVB default be damned 

is this the highest paid at auction for a Romita small-art panel page ever?  With all the focus right now on the Signature auction this one almost passed right by me…

John Romita Sr. and Jim Mooney Amazing Spider-Man #69 Story Page 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/john-romita-sr-and-jim-mooney-amazing-spider-man-69-story-page-11-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7344-51102.s

wow !

On 3/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, NicoV said:

It’s all about the size of the art-board.

small art for that time period is approximately 11x15 inches.  Large art (often called twice-up) is 13 or 14 x 20-22 inches for Silver Age artwork.

I’ve owned artwork preceding the Siver Age where the art board was even larger.

the above does not apply to strip art, which can vary significantly in length and width.  I’ve seen some early Flash Gordon’s and Price Valiant’s in person and they are absolutely massive, impressive, and we’ll worth the price of admission!!!

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 3/12/2023 at 8:01 AM, NicoV said:

What JJ said - the examples you posted are what is considered large art.  The $148k Heritage page was small art.  I’m still pretty amazed by the price