• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can someone please 'splain me

12 posts in this topic

why RAW low/mid grade copies of various early Marvels often sell for a 25-50+% PREMIUM over similarly graded slabs of the same issue?

these were cited on another chat board and I scratch my head:

compare this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daredevil-2-VG_W0QQitemZ6574614186QQcategoryZ32730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAREDEVIL-2-VG-NR_W0QQitemZ6576076550QQcategoryZ32730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This should probably be something that concerns CGC.

random chance, demand (ie. how many people actually need a DD #2, or who actually have money at the time the auction is running) and the fact that some (but not many) raw books are actually undergraded....

jsut a few thoughts...

well, the three auctions were all in the last month....

still weird, we're talking about roughly a 65% premium being paid for the raw copies. people think these are going to come back Fines from CGC??

well, the three auctions were all in the last month....

still weird, we're talking about roughly a 65% premium being paid for the raw copies. people think these are going to come back Fines from CGC??

Naw, I'm thinkg there hoping for NM's 27_laughing.gif

I truly believe that most raw collectors don't even look at CGC auctions, many going so far as to totally avoid them, and by putting a lower-grade copy in a plastic shell you just cut off a large percentage of a buyers. These people are NOT submitting the VG DD #2's they just bought, but simply filing them away with the rest of their raw Marvels.

I know it sounds weird, but I've seen this same thing happen again and again with many non-key low and mid-grade CGC books.

i see it happen with other books too, that's why i asked

but why spend $100 for that VG when you can buy it in a case for $65 and crack it out and you know the grading is probably ok and there was some resto check? that's what i don't get.

but why spend $100 for that VG when you can buy it in a case for $65 and crack it out and you know the grading is probably ok and there was some resto check? that's what i don't get.

Because, as I outlined above, these raw collectors do not even FOLLOW the CGC auction - they don't look at it, don't search for it, don't click on it - it's totally off the radar. I bet most don't even know, or care, that a CGC VG copy sold for $40.

I think the crapshoot ebay factor is at work. For the most part a book like that won't be slabbed, and people won't be looking for a slabbed copy - so I don't see any extra value in having it done. When I've checked prices realized on mid-low grade SA books, the highest price realized for a given grade is quite often 50 to 100% more than the lowest. Feedback and quality of scan seem to have minimal influence on the difference, so why should having the book slabbed?

Because, as I outlined above, these raw collectors do not even FOLLOW the CGC auction - they don't look at it, don't search for it, don't click on it - it's totally off the radar. I bet most don't even know, or care, that a CGC VG copy sold for $40.

Here's another way to look at it.

CGC collector's don't want it because the grade's too low and raw collectors don't want it because not only do they consider these unreadable but they also think because it's CGC'd they're gonna' have to pay a premium for it.

Many have not (as yet) seen the light.

I personally picked up (with apologies to the seller as he is a forum member) a Giant-Size Man Thing that was CGC'd at either 8.5 or 9.0 for about $3.95 plus shipping. So yeah, there's definitely some value out there.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm, oh well, I'd be turned off about paying the extra $40 for an iffy book, but logic doesn't always prevail. not saying i don't buy raw books, but if there's a slab that's cheaper, that seems like a no-brainer. i just figured "cracking them out" would be pretty prevalaent among slab-haters given how many people here say they do it.