• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sub-Mariner 46
2 2

13 posts in this topic

The CGC guide book says a cover detached at a single staple can still get a 7.0 or 7.5. I suspect you'd have to look for a long time to find one like this. I'd look carefully at the bottom staple for structural weakness b/c the top detachment can strain the bottom one during handling and it could knock it down further. I'll say 5.5/6.0 b/c of the detachment plus other minor/moderate defects that wouldn't get to the max for a detachment.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:40 PM, scburdet said:

The CGC guide book says a cover detached at a single staple can still get a 7.0 or 7.5. I suspect you'd have to look for a long time to find one like this. I'd look carefully at the bottom staple for structural weakness b/c the top detachment can strain the bottom one during handling and it could knock it down further. I'll say 5.5/6.0 b/c of the detachment plus other minor/moderate defects that wouldn't get to the max for a detachment.

I have a Daredevil 1 with a detached top staple that is CGC graded at a 7.5.  It would otherwise grade around 9.0