• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worthwhile to post of send want lists?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Your title isn’t 1000 percent clear, but there is a WTB thread here on the boards.  

I myself have been successful using it, and gone through long periods of being unsuccessful.

there’s a lot of luck involved, but also it helps to be clear and have reasonable expectations in terms of pricing.  

I’ve had more success posting the grade and price I want, otherwise theoretically some folks who have your books might think it’s not worth it to check.  But that’s just me

That assumes I understand your thread title, which I definitely might not

• Administrator
On 3/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, mintcomics1 said:

Wondering if it helps at all, or does it pay just to be active and patient for the books you want?

Will people respond with quality examples? 

Any response would be appreciated.

Hi

When you reach 50 posts, a want to buy forum will be visible to you.  Just a heads up, it isn't allowed to post want to buy lists in any other parts of the forum.

Mike

I have very limited experience with this site's WTB Forum.  I haven't posted any "wants" and the times I've responded to listings there, I've generally received no answer or found the person doesn't actually want to pay what the book is worth or won't accept a book that seems to pretty closely fit what they asked for.  I'm sure part of the problem is that I have almost exclusively "raw" books so there's always possible disagreement about the actual grade.

I have no doubt there are plenty of people with good experiences using that Forum - as with anything in life there are serious, trustworthy people and some who are less serious.  Once you've been here a while, the people you can work with will become apparent to you.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

When you reach 50 posts, a want to buy forum will be visible to you.  Just a heads up, it isn't allowed to post want to buy lists in any other parts of the forum.

Mike

Glad I asked. In the Magazine forum there is a Want to Buy thread where lists are posted. I assume that I could post in that one since it's visible.

• Administrator
On 3/16/2023 at 9:15 PM, mintcomics1 said:

Glad I asked. In the Magazine forum there is a Want to Buy thread where lists are posted. I assume that I could post in that one since it's visible.

Absolutely.  However, it would not be ok to go into a thread like show us your Fantastic fours, Official Spiderman thread, ect... and try to solicit purchases.  Basically, I was just giving you the heads up about the WTB forum status, as many new members do the things mentioned above and get posts removed.  

On 3/16/2023 at 7:05 PM, revat said:

Your title isn’t 1000 percent clear, but there is a WTB thread here on the boards.  

I myself have been successful using it, and gone through long periods of being unsuccessful.

there’s a lot of luck involved, but also it helps to be clear and have reasonable expectations in terms of pricing.  

I’ve had more success posting the grade and price I want, otherwise theoretically some folks who have your books might think it’s not worth it to check.  But that’s just me

That assumes I understand your thread title, which I definitely might not

This.  The more detail you include, the better the response tends to be.  

Here are 2 examples.   If you were a seller, which one would you be more apt to respond to:

#1 - WTB - Amazing Spider-Man #14, lower grade, slabbed only

#2 - WTB - Amazing Spider-Man #14 - CGC 3.0-4.5, cr/ow or better pages.  Will pay around GPA 90-day average

On 3/16/2023 at 6:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Mike

Do you need a to have a minimum number of posts to create a sales thread also?

• Administrator
On 3/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, mintcomics1 said:

No.  Please be sure to follow all of the guidelines, though.

Mike

On 3/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, mintcomics1 said:

Your credibility as a seller would increase markedly if you first become a board user, and especially if you first make some purchases in the marketplace without any problems.

On 3/16/2023 at 8:15 PM, mintcomics1 said:

I think most of the regulars in the magazine forum would prefer more engagement before making business deals.  It's a community of people that look out for each other.  My recommendation is spend more time establishing yourself in the community before trying to do transactions.  Not a judgement on you at all, just a very bad history of low engagement users in the past.  2c

On 3/22/2023 at 5:51 AM, namisgr said:

Your credibility as a seller would increase markedly if you first become a board user, and especially if you first make some purchases in the marketplace without any problems.

I've already purchased a few items in the Sales forum.  I always see stuff I want after its been sold.

Is it helpful to have vouches or the good word of fellow members?

On 3/23/2023 at 9:36 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I think most of the regulars in the magazine forum would prefer more engagement before making business deals.  It's a community of people that look out for each other.  My recommendation is spend more time establishing yourself in the community before trying to do transactions.  Not a judgement on you at all, just a very bad history of low engagement users in the past.  2c

Is your feedback as an Ebay seller a decent reference?

On 4/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, mintcomics1 said:
On 3/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Is your feedback as an Ebay seller a decent reference?

it can be.  But it is, of course subjective to each individual person.  If i were new I'd list it.  But actual engagement generally has more value.

OR if you personally knew or had done business with a few boardies OR well known boardies who can 'vouch' for you

It may depend of course on what books you're trying to buy, and how much they cost, as well as geography.  

And you and they have control over terms in terms of payment terms (check? paypal? cash? time payments),  shipping cost, insurance, signing for packages, timing, packaging, return terms, theoretically nowadays you could videotape everything, etc.

You also need to make sure you're protected to the extent you feel comfortable.

I'd say just act in good faith and be reasonable.  Or if you get no hits, no harm no foul.  You can try again at a later date.