• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highest Graded Captain Marvel Adventures 1 on eBay

66 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2023 at 9:06 PM, sfcityduck said:

Who owns the Church copy? 

On 3/17/2023 at 5:35 AM, sfcityduck said:

especially if Blissard’s DAd is not potentially sitting on a “best” ungraded copy like he is with so many other books like Superman 1.

Yes indeed, a very good question and it would not surprise me at all if his father, the Dentist himself, does own the raw Church copy.  hm  (shrug)

Just checked Chuck's Mile High catalogue and he rather surprisingly and uniquely writes a whole paragraph on this book here about the poor page printing quality and how it is his belief that this is either close to or the best copy in existence.  He goes on to state that "it has a small nick at the bottom of the spine and a very slight bit of splitting on the spine.  The splitting only affects the outer layer of the paper."  He then lists the book as in NM condition at a price of $3,000.  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/17/2023 at 2:08 PM, rjpb said:

There are 10 restored copies n 6.5 or better, I wonder if any of them are a candidate for resto removal and still being able to grade at better than 5.0?

Interesting point, yeah maybe. Most of those tend to have too much resto, but you never know. Maybe there’s a sneaky 8.0 with slight ct, waiting to be worked on.

Well, why think so low when they already have a Restored copy in CGC 9.6 and it's listed as only SP (i.e. Slight professional), so who knows.  hm

On 3/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well, there is this 8.0 from a 2002 Heritage sale with the note of “glue on spine”, just slight P. If the glue could be removed, who knows 🤷‍♂️

B932F84D-D48A-4571-8AB7-B916991C6122.jpeg

Oh wow, a Hawkeye pedigree copy to boot.  :cloud9:

From the very few Hawkkeye's which I have seen, they are absolutely stunning and gorgeous books.  :luhv:

The only problem with this pedigree is that they have no tell tale identification markings on them which no doubt have probably resulted in many of them losing their provenance over the years.  :(

On 3/17/2023 at 11:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, why think so low when they already have a Restored copy in CGC 9.6 and it's listed as only SP (i.e. Slight professional), so who knows.  hm

How did you find that out? I only looked at Heritage sales and it wasn’t there. Did it sell somewhere else so you could see the label? But yeah that would presumably be a potentially very solid candidate for removing the plod.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, sfcityduck said:

If you want the highest graded copy of a mega key of one of the most important GA superhero’s then this may be your one chance.  To me CMA 1 is like Superman 1 - the low grade of the highest graded copy should not hold it back.  Best is best and price should reflect that.  So I tend to think the upside for this book may be good - especially if Blissard’s DAd is not potentially sitting on a “best” ungraded copy like he is with so many other books like Superman 1.

This is my thoughts across the whole Shazam Golden Age spectrum. I feel if all factors are taken into consideration, the GA Captain Marvel 'Family" of comics are way undervalued when compared to other GA books given the limited potential supply out there. I feel the upside is very good. Below is another in the Shazam family which I feel is still way undervalued given the link to the Elvis movie and the fact that supposedly the estate of Elvis still has his Captain Marvel Jr collection which one day may become available. If the estate came forward with Elvis's collection, have them graded by CGC,  would they be the most famous pedigree of all time? 

1631596074_CGC0040984-012_OBV(3).thumb.JPG.9230179cec6956398f08d6fc6f10d686.JPG

On 3/17/2023 at 9:21 PM, tth2 said:

Why?  There are some collectors that have no interest in fugly books, even if they're the least fugly copy in existence.  Least fugly might still mean really fugly. 

I get that some folks have grade standards.  But many GA collectors of mega keys do not opt have that attitude towards those books. They will pay huge bucks for a fugly comic and epic prices for a highest graded or best reasonably available. The highest graded Superman 1 is going to punch above its grade weight.

On 3/17/2023 at 3:38 PM, Robot Man said:

That is highly unlikely. With a book this popular at the time, I suspect there were a lot published.

The trouble with relying on the CGC census, it it does not take into account how many collectors, especially old school collectors who have not graded their books.

50 years ago, long before he became “Shazam”, Capt. Marvel was almost as popular as Superman amongst collectors.

A 5.0 ain’t that hard to beat…

There’s a weird vibe I get since joining these boards back in 2011 again that some think when CGC came into existence that everyone began loading up their trucks to have everything they owned graded and surely everything must be graded by now. Certainly a lot of the pedigree books made that line.The amount of CGC books I’ve posted on these boards are probably only about 10% of the CGC books I’ve acquired since then. Can’t post everything. I began collecting in 1973 and as many CGC books I own I doubt it would hit 5% of my collection. First it would be cost prohibitive to grade large amounts unless I planned on selling them again as a dealer. Next if I’m not selling why would I grade a big book at all now? It’s even more expensive when you cross into those 6 figures. I think if nothing the recent Promise collection kind of establishes the idea of what still might be out there. No not saying many more pedigree collections but still a lot of raw books.Not going to speculate how much.

So for me it’s a pretty easy choice if I had to make it which I don’t to risk a 100k that a CGC 5.0 GA book with a high print run of a popular character is the highest graded out there. 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:49 AM, bronze johnny said:

Did Berk have a copy in his collection?

Not too sure, but he did have a copy of CMA 2 which was slabbed as a Slight (C-1) Restored CGC 7.5 graded copy with a small amount of glue on the spine and tear seal to cover that sold for $2,161 in the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017.  :gossip:

Interesting to note that Tricarichi had graded the book as a NM/M copy, so not sure if the book had suffered some damage in the interim or if Joe was really that inconsistent of a grader.  From some of the grade comparisons in the Larson List for the Larson books that have been slabbed to date, all I can say is that Tricarichi is certainly no Jim Payette when it comes to tight grading as most of the CGC grades for the Allentown books have actually come in higher than what Payette had them listed at in his Master Allentown List, with very very few that have come in lower.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

As for CMA 1, The Larson List does indicate a F/NM copy in there with the bracketed notation of a tiny piece out from the spine and lite fold length of front cover.  Now, not sure if this was one of the very small handful of books that Jon supposedly decided to keep for himself after auctioning off his collection back in 2017.  If so, surprised that he did not keep the Church copy of Mystery Men 3 since that was always one of his very favorite books.  Then again, I hear he apparently did have two copies of that book and probably kept the undercopy for himself and let the Church go along with the rest of the Church Mystery Men run.  So, it's quite possible Jon might indeed have the Larson CMA 1 still with him since he did have the CMA 2, but who really knows except for Jon himself and possibly a few others in the know.  hm  (shrug)

On 3/18/2023 at 7:42 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 3/17/2023 at 9:21 PM, tth2 said:

Why?  There are some collectors that have no interest in fugly books, even if they're the least fugly copy in existence.  Least fugly might still mean really fugly. 

I get that some folks have grade standards.

Uummmmm............................I believe that Tim might just have been looking at himself in the mirror when he made that post.  lol

On 3/18/2023 at 3:02 PM, lou_fine said:

Not too sure, but he did have a copy of CMA 2 which was slabbed as a Slight (C-1) Restored CGC 7.5 graded copy with a small amount of glue on the spine and tear seal to cover that sold for $2,161 in the big Jon Berk Auction back in 2017.  :gossip:

Interesting to note that Tricarichi had graded the book as a NM/M copy, so not sure if the book had suffered some damage in the interim or if Joe was really that inconsistent of a grader.  From some of the grade comparisons in the Larson List for the Larson books that have been slabbed to date, all I can say is that Tricarichi is certainly no Jim Payette when it comes to tight grading as most of the CGC grades for the Allentown books have actually come in higher than what Payette had them listed at in his Master Allentown List, with very very few that have come in lower.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

As for CMA 1, The Larson List does indicate a F/NM copy in there with the bracketed notation of a tiny piece out from the spine and lite fold length of front cover.  Now, not sure if this was one of the very small handful of books that Jon supposedly decided to keep for himself after auctioning off his collection back in 2017.  If so, surprised that he did not keep the Church copy of Mystery Men 3 since that was always one of his very favorite books.  Then again, I hear he apparently did have two copies of that book and probably kept the undercopy for himself and let the Church go along with the rest of the Church Mystery Men run.  So, it's quite possible Jon might indeed have the Larson CMA 1 still with him since he did have the CMA 2, but who really knows except for Jon himself and possibly a few others in the know.  hm  (shrug)

Maybe @adamstrange knows?

On 3/18/2023 at 7:40 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

given the link to the Elvis movie and the fact that supposedly the estate of Elvis still has his Captain Marvel Jr collection which one day may become available. If the estate came forward with Elvis's collection, have them graded by CGC,  would they be the most famous pedigree of all time? 

Without a doubt, this would bump up the profile of the comic book collecting hobby up to another level with Elvis's name attached to the collection. (thumbsu

Not too sure if they would be in that fantastic of a grade condition though as I get the feeling that Elvis probably read the heck out of them while laying in his bed.  lol

On 3/18/2023 at 2:40 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

If the estate came forward with Elvis's collection, have them graded by CGC,  would they be the most famous pedigree of all time?

yes, absolutely

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

If the estate came forward with Elvis's collection, have them graded by CGC,  would they be the most famous pedigree of all time? 

It would be a toss up between Elvis's and Stan Lee's Personal Tailor

If my dad had been collecting for 50 years, owned the Church copy of Whiz 1 and CMA 1, and told me that this 5.0 copy of CMA was probably the 2nd nicest unrestored copy known, I'd probably price it at $100K also and be fine waiting for someone to make a strong offer on it.

I think the SP 9.6 suffers from the same thing that the SP 8.0 Hawkeye does - spine split that glue is holding together. I guess the question would be what would CGC grade a copy that is split to the stapes at the top and bottom?

On 3/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Without a doubt, this would bump up the profile of the comic book collecting hobby up to another level with Elvis's name attached to the collection. (thumbsu

Not too sure if they would be in that fantastic of a grade condition though as I get the feeling that Elvis probably read the heck out of them while laying in his bed.  lol

No, but if Elvis's DNA is on those comics, the sky will be the limit as to  their value! You do not want to have them cleaned & pressed! 

On 3/18/2023 at 4:42 PM, Crowzilla said:

I think the SP 9.6 suffers from the same thing that the SP 8.0 Hawkeye does - spine split that glue is holding together. I guess the question would be what would CGC grade a copy that is split to the stapes at the top and bottom?

If the spine is split all the way to the staples at both the top and bottom, would this then not be exceeding CGC's definition of Slight?  ???  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine