• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN VS. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN TREASURY EDITION

15 posts in this topic

Ross Andru at his finest is like saying Huey Lewis and news really rock n roll.

I like the part tow version better where the villians get switched.

crazy.gif

Old Ross was a very serviceable Spider-man artist and he produced many of the seminal ASM comics of the Bronze Age.

Don't go knocking him!! sumo.gif

Old Ross was a very serviceable Spider-man artist and he produced many of the seminal ASM comics of the Bronze Age.

JC, i actually agree with you...some of the most recognized covers belong to him.

JC, i actually agree with you...some of the most recognized covers belong to him.

Ross Andru did a great job continuing the tradition of fine artwork on the Spider-Man series. I don't think Stan would let him cover the most popular series (by far)for as long as he did if he was only considered to be "servicable".

Ross Andru was great! Herb Trimpe on the other hand.... screwy.gif

Ross Andru was great! Herb Trimpe on the other hand.... screwy.gif

I'd agree that Trimpe inked by Severin was not great (or even good), but Jack Abel (late 160's and on) did a pretty good job at keeping Trimpe fairly palatable...

I'd agree that Trimpe inked by Severin was not great (or even good), but Jack Abel (late 160's and on) did a pretty good job at keeping Trimpe fairly palatable...

I'm 180 degrees from you on this one. The only thing that made Trimpe palatable was Severin's inks. After that, Trimpe's work just got worse and worse, to the point it started looking like he was trying to imitate Barry Smith trying to emulate Jack Kirby.

It's a very good story. Ross Andru is a great story teller and a solid artist.

Herb Trimpe told good comic book stories too. He had faults as an artist but his main problem was timing.

He entered comics when they were changing from children's literature to an art form, read in part by critical young men who preferred a certain flair in the artists.

Trimpe did everything he had to do when he started in the industry. By the time he left, people no longer wanted what he could do but instead wanted something that he didn't have. Sadly, the same thing has happened to dozens and dozens of good men. It is hard to stay on top in the world of comics. It is even hard to stay in the low end of the middle. The turnover at the big companies is hard to believe. Who are today's favorites? Ninety percent of them will be gone in ten years.

And the living will envy the dead.