• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand vs Direct: Clarity (and maybe less misinformation) Needed
5 5

190 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2023 at 4:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So....

Have we gained any clarity on the subject?:shy:

Crystal clear, if anyone is paying attention, thanks to the latest numbers that have been presented as if they were a valid argument in this topic. :shy:

On 3/24/2023 at 4:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

Unopened boxes of SA keys? That's very interesting, mostly since comics were not distributed in boxes back then

Restated: When I saw them, I accidentally stubbed my toe on a box that had been opened but its flaps were closed. They flew open when my foot made contact, revealing two stacks of comics, all Hulk #1's that filled the box to about the 75% mark. I was then told by the person who showed me the back room that the hundreds of boxes that filled the room were likewise filled with comics from the same era, and most were unopened. It was more complicated to write it out that way and the post was already long. Hope you understand. I heard somewhere that Sidebottom had bought out a distributor in the 1960's. Maybe, assuming your information is accurate, the comics were repackaged when Sidebottom bought them.

As for the rest of your reply, I'm sorry but the personally tailored definitions you use make it difficult to have a conversation with you. Sometimes I get the impression you are sincere but excessively literal. Other times I think you are trolling for your personal amusement.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:27 PM, paqart said:

Stop posting

That will only make the percentage of delusion and nonsense even worse.

or improve the quality of your posts

I'm trying, but it's still not getting through. :( I know the troll is a lost cause, but I would hope people with Ph.D.s would be able to actually understand facts, logic and reason.

and that fog will lift pretty quickly.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that there is nothing quick about it.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, valiantman said:

Bryan Singer Re-Cast "The Usual Suspects" For 2013, And It's Awesome

I just rewatched Alex Lifeson's speech after Rush was inducted to the Rock & Roll HOF. Alex was being irreverent, and it's kind of expected with rock.

This ain't Rush, and no band induction. It's a message board with irreverent trolls. As much as the ignore function sucks, it's the best we got.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:25 PM, paqart said:

I heard somewhere that Sidebottom had bought out a distributor in the 1960's

hm You understand that distributors were not supposed to have stock to buy out, right? Assuming your story is true, those are exactly the "returns" that still exist that I was talking about!

On 3/25/2023 at 8:46 AM, comicwiz said:
On 3/25/2023 at 7:50 AM, valiantman said:

Bryan Singer Re-Cast "The Usual Suspects" For 2013, And It's Awesome

Expand  

I just rewatched Alex Lifeson's speech after Rush was inducted to the Rock & Roll HOF. Alex was being irreverent, and it's kind of expected with rock.

This ain't Rush, and no band induction. It's a message board with irreverent trolls. As much as the ignore function sucks, it's the best we got.

But some things are like a small child with a drum they keep banging, over and over gain.   No ones listening, but they keep banging the same childs drum.

Valiantman has made the facts abundantly clear in the data, and paqart has provided endless real world examples of scarcity. it's quite clear that modern NS from both sides are evidently rare in the market place.   I think the market, and broader collecting community are catching onto this, in collecting focus, and prices realised for NS books.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:25 PM, paqart said:

As for the rest of your reply, I'm sorry but the personally tailored definitions you use make it difficult to have a conversation with you. Sometimes I get the impression you are sincere but excessively literal. Other times I think you are trolling for your personal amusement.

We could do the math on which is more likely, using what he taught us earlier.

1212 62521 525919 116953 5156 198 920

Clearly, you can see how helpful he's been.

Edited by valiantman

On 3/24/2023 at 5:54 PM, Microchip said:

But some things are like a small child with a drum they keep banging, over and over gain.   No ones listening, but they keep banging the same childs drum.

Valiantman has made the facts abundantly clear in the data, and paqart has provided endless real world examples of scarcity. it's quite clear that modern NS from both sides are evidently rare in the market place.   I think the market, and broader collecting community are catching onto this, in collecting focus, and prices realised for NS books.

@valiantmanhas always participated positively from the early days when he'd provide census data to us in more meaningful way than a census lookup. That his credibility is being questioned speaks on the dismal direction these boards have taken, but I tried to provide an alternative.

I grew up in an area where newsstands were the only way I could collect. Anyone that bought in this manner knows the way stars had to align to even put a run together, esp if depending on a few nearby convenience stores. And that the timing meant everything before the Beckers owners kid got to the books, especially given his horrible habit of snacking while reading books customers had to later purchase.

I collect them for nostalgia, not to speculate or invest in. Their historical significance is a lot more interesting to me than trying to squeeze more out of the sale of a comic, but it's actually discussions on the old distribution system that fascinate me more.

Edited by comicwiz

On 3/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, valiantman said:

We could do the math on which is more likely, using what he taught us earlier.

1233 54354 234322 909323 234 9943

Clearly, you can see how helpful he's been.

It's funny how you no longer like nonsensical and irrelevant numbers. hm Sometimes it's very easy to prove my point.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:15 PM, Lazyboy said:

It's funny how you no longer like nonsensical and irrelevant numbers. hm Sometimes it's very easy to prove my point.

When all the available data (hundreds of records) point to a particular newsstand with about 5% availability in the marketplace, yes, it is wrong to suggest that it's only out in the world with 1% availability (as the "hucksters" do), but it is also wrong to suggest that it could be 15%, 25%, 50% or more, and no one should trust hundreds of records that point to 5% because we just don't have enough data... as YOU do.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

What's really sad is how many people are more interested in taking shots at me than they are in the truth. Ad hominem FTW!

That could be a song... perfectly accompanied by a tiny violin.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, valiantman said:
On 3/25/2023 at 9:15 AM, Lazyboy said:

When all the available data (hundreds of records) point to a particular newsstand with about 5% availability in the marketplace, yes, it is wrong to suggest that it's only out in the world with 1% availability (as the "hucksters" do), but it is also wrong to suggest that it could be 15%, 25%, 50% or more, and no one should trust hundreds of records that point to 5% because we just don't have enough data... as YOU do.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:28 AM, Lazyboy said:

What's really sad is how many people are more interested in taking shots at me than they are in the truth. Ad hominem FTW!

That could be a song... perfectly accompanied by a tiny violin.

Thanks again for you data input @valiantman it was clear, concise, and easy to follow.   It's now the benchmark for any discussion on the topic (thumbsu

On 3/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, valiantman said:

When all the available data (hundreds of records) point to a particular newsstand with about 5% availability in the marketplace

Yet again, feeBay is not the marketplace. It is only a self-selected sample that cannot be used to extrapolate the rest of the world.

On 3/24/2023 at 5:29 PM, valiantman said:

, yes, it is wrong to suggest that it's only out in the world with 1% availability (as the "hucksters" do), but it is also wrong to suggest that it could be 15%, 25%, 50% or more, and no one should trust hundreds of records that point to 5% because we just don't have enough data... as YOU do.

Show me where I've done that. I reject nonsense, I don't post it (except non-seriously, to prove points). I acknowledge that many later Newsstands are relatively rare, they just aren't as rare as some people claim and many have been misled to believe.