• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret wars 8 newsstand
2 2

10 posts in this topic

6.0/6.5 I would be careful assuming the reported census on newsstands is accurate. CGC only recently started differentiating between direct and newsstands in the census/lables, so there is like some percentage of the total graded that are newsstand, but without complete records. In 1984 somewhere north of 60% of the print runs are estimated to be newsstand. Personally, I'd be hesitant to grade this comic in this conditions b/c there are just so many graded copies already out there already.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, scburdet said:

6.0/6.5 I would be careful assuming the reported census on newsstands is accurate. CGC only recently started differentiating between direct and newsstands in the census/lables, so there is like some percentage of the total graded that are newsstand, but without complete records. In 1984 somewhere north of 60% of the print runs are estimated to be newsstand. Personally, I'd be hesitant to grade this comic in this conditions b/c there are just so many graded copies already out there already.

You know, as I was looking at the book I thought about there being a horde out there somewhere. Or many.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:47 PM, grendelbo said:

horde out there somewhere

Another question I have about the census generally is how inflated certain numbers are b/c of cracking/regrading and/or cracking/signing/grading. Still, this is definitely in the top 10 of most graded books.

On 3/21/2023 at 10:45 PM, scburdet said:

Haha i mean I don’t care that much about that aspect. I just noticed it on the census and thought it was cool! I’m goin to clean and press and see what happens! I already own a 9.8 direct. Was just hoping I could maybe pull off a 7+! Haha but not holding my breathe

I think if this book cleans up, 7.0+ is definitely possible. As is...I'd say yeah, 6.0/6.5 tops. Get a good presser and make sure they clean too--a lot of the dirt and grime, especially over the whites, should come off nicely. And a lot of the creasing looks non-color-breaking. Unfortunately, it looks like a bit of the grime on the BC might be foxing (lower left side), which will not come out. All that said, I think a 7.5 is very possible with a good C&P (8.0/8.5 if what I saw isn't actually foxing and comes off). Good luck!

Edited by Nsschenks

On 3/23/2023 at 6:59 PM, Nsschenks said:

I think if this book cleans up, 7.0+ is definitely possible. As is...I'd say yeah, 6.0/6.5 tops. Get a good presser and make sure they clean too--a lot of the dirt and grime, especially over the whites, should come off nicely. And a lot of the creasing looks non-color-breaking. Unfortunately, it looks like a bit of the grime on the BC might be foxing (lower left side), which will not come out. All that said, I think a 7.5 is very possible with a good C&P (8.0/8.5 if what I saw isn't actually foxing and comes off). Good luck!

Just finished pressing and cleaning! 

949528C8-DF4F-454F-BB6B-4BAB7265E3D7.jpeg