• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA at the NY show aka what I've learned so far

12 posts in this topic

I went to the NY show this weekend and didn't buy anything. I was looking for a great Kirby or Ditko piece and didn't see anything I liked. Ironically, the only piece I wanted THAT I SAW FOR SALE was a $60 Michael Gaydos DD page that I watched someone else pick out and then buy from the pile of pages that Gaydos had. The best Kirby piece I saw FOR SALE was a page from FF Annual #1 with Dr. Doom fighting the Invisible Girl in every panel. I would have tried to work a deal on that but I wanted a page with more FF characters on it.

My feeling has always been, and was then confirmed, that most of the really decent art can only be unearthed at a convention from two methods, #1 - buying a piece from a dealer just to put cash in their hands and show them that you have money and then talk about whether they have or can find any other pieces that you really want, or #2 - trying to strike up a conversation with one of the 'players' walking around with a portfolio and try to get them to show you what they brought and possibly buy something that they have. It is apparent to me that though dealers display a lot of decent art, that the really amazing stuff is not for public display. This was confirmed through conversation and learning about several pieces that dealers have that are either in play or in their personal collections.

I also went to Metropolis afterwards and was simply in awe of their collection. It was, unfortunately, a very small gathering, but again, I was able to see and learn about available art that I would, in no uncertain terms, have no knowledge of had I not done the legwork, so to speak. And without a doubt, the art I saw through conversations with people FAR surpassed any of the art I saw for public display by the dealers.

I also found, that by simply talking to the right people, that everyone was extremely forthcoming with information about the Marvel art theft, who the players were, what people saw, who Brad Savage is, and about every other question I ever had about what happenned and when. Best of all, I heard the information from the people either directly involved or who were there. I do not feel the need to share any of these stories, though they were phenomenal to hear, but I have to say that if anyone really wants to know anything, all they really have to do is ask the right people. No one deflected any questions that I asked, and most were very happy to relay these really wild stories.

From someone who has only been trying to collect OA for about a year, I have to say that I have felt like a detective much more than I've ever felt like a collector. I guess half the fun has been trying to find out as much information as possible about this crazy hobby. Most disconcerting, however, is learning that most of the amazing pieces that are out there (Marvel) were bought LONG ago for hundreds of dollars, some in the low four figures, that are now selling in the strong five figures. It really is apparent that the gold rush was mined well over ten years ago. It was also amazing to hear about how some OA dealers are still able to buy gems from unsuspecting or unknowledgeable owners and then auction them off or sell them for huge multiples of what they paid.

For anyone new to this hobby, I would just say that if you want to know or find a specific piece, it definitely pays to go to conventions and talk to dealers and people who carry around portfolios who talk to those dealers because it is amazing how much is really out there that most of us will never ever see or even know actually exists.

For anyone I've talked to, thank you for sharing what you know, what you've seen, and what you have. I have enjoyed it all so far.

Best quote from a dealer I overheard, "Thand G-d for Original Art, you know why? No restoration, I don't have have to worry about whether or not it's pressed or restored."

It really is apparent that the gold rush was mined well over ten years ago

This is a relative notion. If you can get a Ditko ASM Cover for 250K or less you will have beaten all the future gold diggers. There is alotta great art,..yuh just need to 'up' your bid. Bags of $$$$,..always remember,...bags of $$$$. Its the only way you'll get the really good stuff.

KK

It depends on what type of resto was done. If the page was bleached not really a big deal. The operative theory is that this is one of a kind.

That said, there are pages where characters that were 'stat's' and not art that were re-drawn,..this is not restoration,...this is mutilation. For example, the submariner on Avengers 3 Splash.

There is also the example of the ASM 6 book,...some of the pages were 'worked up' because a Chow ate 1/3 of the book. This is resoration. However,..it really hasnt slowed the market on the pages. People still want them.

While most would PREFER art in its original state. Very rarely is art turned down for what it is. But, yes,..it does happen.

KK

I no expert on OA and don't care to be, but I agree totally. why buy a restored kirby monster splash for $X when you can get an unrestored kirby monster splash that's nearly a perfect subsitute for less? Do you really care whether you get Goom, son of Goom, or ZZutak?

It was also amazing to hear about how some OA dealers are still able to buy gems from unsuspecting or unknowledgeable owners and then auction them off or sell them for huge multiples of what they paid.

I wouldn't lie to get a great example of OA, but I go to auctions and estate sales all the time hoping to find something like that. But it's getting harder and harder to find "unsuspecting" owners. Most OA in estates will get immediately thrown into high-end catalogued auctions because even the most backwoods auctioneers have an idea what it's worth.

The last piece of original comic art I encountered at a regular table at a low-end auction was an Alfred Andriola Kerry Drake specialty piece. It was finished, very nice, and large--about 8" x 10." I gave up on it at $300; I was hoping to come away with it at a much lower price, but I think that too many people have heard about the prices being paid for originals these days.