• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN: PGM X-Men #112
1 1

9 posts in this topic

The front top spine corner looks like a small bindery tear. I'd call the tear on the back corner a chip out. 8.5/9.0 depending on how severe the chip is treated. Maybe a little leniency since it's on the back

First one of the rest that I feel were graded harshly. The biggest flaw I saw with this one was the small corner chip on the back cover and that wasn't even mentioned in the grading notes. Instead I have non-existent light bends and creasing to the cover. I double checked my video and I can't see anything through the slab (not unusual, I know) that would indicate it was damaged in transit or during processing. I just can't see how this is an 8.0 book unless the corner chip really dinged it but why not mention it in the notes?

Grade: 8.0 White Pages

Notes: light bends to cover, light creasing to cover, light spine stress lines to cover

X-Men112-18.0.thumb.jpg.7dc8ca545228083aa9bf9eb837e7ab0e.jpg

X-Men112-28.0.thumb.jpg.7c2f00178f99dc4557b6e800b993571c.jpg

On 4/15/2023 at 11:13 PM, atticus.fetch said:

but why not mention it in the notes

Their notes are inconsistent. If you ask, they'll say notes are an added benefit, not something that's guaranteed. It's not unusual to have a defect no mentioned in notes. I have several 9.0s with no notes, so it's just guesswork to figure out how a specific grade was assigned. Mostly annoying if you're trying to make future decisions about what to submit and what to hold back.

On 4/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, scburdet said:

Their notes are inconsistent. If you ask, they'll say notes are an added benefit, not something that's guaranteed. It's not unusual to have a defect no mentioned in notes. I have several 9.0s with no notes, so it's just guesswork to figure out how a specific grade was assigned. Mostly annoying if you're trying to make future decisions about what to submit and what to hold back.

I get that if there are NO notes. But someone took the time to write notes and publish them with the certificate. No one bother to point out the most glaring defect (at least to you and I)?

the notes are consistently inconsistent. Whoever is the grading, what their standards are, how thorough they were on a Monday vs. a Friday. I have seen examples where I think the grader concluded a defect was obvious enough looking at the book that they didn't need to add it. I actually have a book with a clipped coupon that's not mentioned in the notes. I'd call that both significant and obvious, but they left it out. Since it's just in my PC, I have no reason to get it changed. I've seen a few people comment that they started using alternatives to CGC b/c the other company is better about documenting defects. Don't know how true that is, but I've seen it asserted.