• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 101
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm just wondering where this Amazing Spider-Man #101 (first print) would fall on the spectrum of lower grade comics? It's definitely a low grade copy. As you can see, there are lots of problems with this book: stain on the letter "S" and Morbius' dialogue caption on front cover, paint stain on the lower right front cover, water stains on the back and front cover, etc. The comic's complete and has all the pages.

Also, does anyone know if this book would get a "qualified"  Restored Label or Regular Blue Label if I submit it for CGC grading because of the spraypaint? I don't know what the previous owner was trying to do with the spraypaint, but I'm pretty sure the last owner wasn't trying to do color touch on it lol! Thanks for your opinions!

101a-Copy-Copy.jpg.d3e43bc1812d4c644fff40b768ceeb62.jpg

image.jpeg.af6b13391b9a073122b31aee784207a6.jpeg

101z-Copy-Copy.jpg.dd8c8036131ab9c0bb36d72cd6033506.jpg

Edited by multiversal
Description of book, photos

1.0 Universal. Qualified would be for if the book had a specific issue on an otherwise much higher grade book. This is clearly low grade and every defect will count toward the overall grade

On 4/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, scburdet said:

1.0 Universal. Qualified would be for if the book had a specific issue on an otherwise much higher grade book. This is clearly low grade and every defect will count toward the overall grade

Thanks for your opinions @scburdet @grendelbo. I've corrected my original post. Yes I meant restored grade, not qualified. Yes, I'm hoping that the spray paint won't get a Restored Label on it, that is, if I ever plan to submit it for grading in the future.

Edited by multiversal

It won't.

Restoration is a purposeful attempt to modify and improve a book's appearance or condition.

I don't think CGC will see the spray paint as such.

Edited by grendelbo

On 4/3/2023 at 1:29 AM, grendelbo said:

Restoration is a purposeful attempt to modify and improve a book's appearance or condition

yip. I don't think anyone would classify this paint as an attempt to color touch the cover. "C" is the lowest quality rating for restoration–something like taking a marker to stress lines, They'd have to create a new class with a Q or X rating to call this restoration.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4084/