• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE starring Chris Pratt, Charlie Day (2023)

88 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2023 at 8:09 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

With TheSuperMarioBros movie and The Last of Us show both being big hits I wonder if the trend now going forward with Hollywood is to slowly move on from superhero movies and now start focusing more on video games?

hm

I think it's very much a generational thing.  For people of a certain age - which for the last 30+ years have been the people in power - comics were the nostalgia of their youths. 

Now you've got more and more people moving into positions of power for whom comics don't mean anything.  Video games were their youth.  There have been many false starts and questionable decisions on the video game/adaptation front, much like the comic book movies had some questionable early films.  I want to say that's largely because the people making those early video game movies weren't the people who played and loved those games.  They were trying to cater to an audience but didn't quite "get" how.  But now more and more people involved in the making of the films are people who actually grew up with the source material.  

This is not a particularly original thought.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, Axelrod said:

I think it's very much a generational thing.  For people of a certain age - which for the last 30+ years have been the people in power - comics were the nostalgia of their youths. 

Now you've got more and more people moving into positions of power for whom comics don't mean anything.  Video games were their youth.  There have been many false starts and questionable decisions on the video game/adaptation front, much like the comic book movies had some questionable early films.  I want to say that's largely because the people making those early video game movies weren't the people who played and loved those games.  They were trying to cater to an audience but didn't quite "get" how.  But now more and more people involved in the making of the films are people who actually grew up with the source material.  

It's also why many critics don't seem to get the movie.  The best known movie critics tend to be older, and have been raised on books and even comics.  So they "got" what the MCU was doing.  They do not "get" video games in the same fashion (not saying there are not some younger critics or video game fans).  So all the easter eggs and member berries that they love in comic movies, meaning nothing to them.  The do not get the lure, the cannon, or the appeal of the characters, in the way the younger generation does. The end result is the movie is not for them, so they do not like it, and try to pick it apart from a movie making standpoint.  The kids raised on these games however look at the screen, like we did when the MCU started, thinking holy spoon I have waited my entire life to see may favorites on screen like this. Those fans are very happy, thus the A CinemaScore. 

Saw it this evening. It was good and entertaining. It didn’t try to be more than it should be. It found a groove and stuck with it. I’m sure I’ll be watching it again.

Most importantly my son LOVED it. It was worth it just to hear him pointing out the characters and the power ups throughout the movie. Transported me back to when I was his age watching the cartoons. 

On 4/8/2023 at 12:58 AM, Axelrod said:

Then explain the Halo show. :cry:

On 4/7/2023 at 7:13 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Saw it this evening. It was good and entertaining. It didn’t try to be more than it should be. It found a groove and stuck with it. I’m sure I’ll be watching it again.

Most importantly my son LOVED it. It was worth it just to hear him pointing out the characters and the power ups throughout the movie. Transported me back to when I was his age watching the cartoons. 

yes its all about the kids. my 8 yr old and his 2 friends all enjoyed it as well. i found it derivative and boring, and basically a 90 min commercial for all the mario games. but its not for me or my generation. 

One part that transported me back in time was Mario on Rainbow Road break-slide boosting and doing the jumping off the track shortcut. I perfected the hell out of that in college. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

Took my nephews to see this yesterday and found it to be hilarious. I enjoyed the movie the entire time though there were a couple of little things I didn't like but they weren't that bad.  This was the first movie in a while were the crowd clapped at the end (though half of the crowd was under 13).  If you have a child or just want to watch something funny with a good story go and watch this.

I saw it today with my wife and daughter.  It was a fun movie.  Everyone clapped at the end in my theater also.

Ok, so I took my two boys (age 10 and 13) to this movie today.  On a Tuesday afternoon at 3:30pm the theater was 1/2 full with an age range of 4 to mid 50s (I'd guess).  

I thought it was an ok movie, it had enough "easter eggs" littered around in both the background and foreground to keep me interested in the story, however I personally don't feel as if an "A" cinema score is justified, I'd give it a "B" or "B+".  This is not a movie that I would go to again in theaters, and it is one I would maybe watch again on streaming.

However, my boys ate it up (and pretty much every kid in the theater).  They both loved it and asked if we would be buying it for the home when it hit blu-ray.  They also both said they would like to go see it in the theater again.

Overall everyone in the theater enjoyed the movie, there were a few places where people cheered or clapped.  All in all it was a good, safe, family movie about a well known and well loved character from a lot of people's childhood.  I can easily see why this movie is making all the money it is.