• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal's THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE starring Chris Pratt, Charlie Day (2023)

88 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, awakeintheashes said:

My son is right at the age where I started playing Mario as a kid, so it was cool to see him pointing out all the stuff and turning to me and saying “remember that.” My almost 4yo daughter tolerated most of it because of him, but we lost her at the end. 

If this spawns a whole new line of movies, it would be cool to see them bring it back to theaters in future years for new audiences to enjoy on the big screen. 

Road maps for a so-called NCU have already surfaced,  and Chris Pratt referenced this film as the start of the NCU. It has also been hinted that Zelda and Metroid are already in developement.

Edited by drotto

On 4/25/2023 at 5:12 AM, drotto said:

Road maps for a so-called NCU have already surfaced,  and Chris Pratt referenced this film as the start of the NCU. It has also been hinted that Zelda and Metroid are already in developement.

I do hope that comes to fruition, but I hope they have their own tone and feel. Zelda, especially recently, has weaved together great gameplay and excellent storytelling. I don’t think the Mario-style lightheartedness humor would work as well with a property like Zelda. It would need to be more of an epic adventure that keeps the humor at a minimum and focuses more on the hero’s journey.

Super Mario Bros’ Jumping Past $1B Global On Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/super-mario-bros-movie-crosses-one-billion-global-box-office-1235341660/

It was just a matter of time. With estimates through Sunday, Illumination/Nintendo/Universal’s The Super Mario Bros Movie is expected to cross $1B global tomorrow, becoming the first release of 2023 to the milestone, and the fifth of the pandemic era. It is getting there in 26 days. Wahoo!

The Aaron Horvath/Michael Jelenic-directed juggernaut sailed past $900M worldwide earlier this week and through Friday is at $970M. Of that, $483M is from the international box office, domestic is at $487M.

This weekend notably included openings in majors Korea and Japan. Through Friday, the Korea gross is $1.65M in second place. In Japan, play is strong.

MCDSUMA_UV017-1.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

I hated the bad publicity it was getting for casting two white dudes as voice actors.  Took me a while to get use to hearing Charlie Day and not thinking Sunny In Philly.  It was an ok movie so I never thought it would reach this level of success.

***Very happy it is doing well

On 5/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ok, so for sure Mario Movie beats Minions, does it have enough gas in the tank to bump Incredibles 2 or even Frozen 1?  (I don't think it can hit Frozen 2 levels).