• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Jim Lee's First Marvel Art In Marvel Age Annual #3, And Not In Alpha Flight #51?

33 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2023 at 9:25 PM, jdandns said:

Here's the chronological list from the Marvel database. It puts MA Annual first, with the release date given as 7 days earlier than AF 51.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Jim_Lee/Penciler

There's nothing on that wiki site that's any more credible than what we've already seen in this thread.

On 4/9/2023 at 4:58 PM, jdandns said:

Well, I mean, it's scheduled for an August, 2023 publication. I suppose pre-orders could be so low they could cancel it, but more likely they'd go through with it at this point and just not continue the series if sales ended up being very low. That first one is subtitled "Volume 1", so it seems the original plan is to present the entire series which would take roughly 4 books to do it (140 issues, 4 Annuals, and a few specials).

I just can't believe that anyone even thought of doing a Marvel Age omnibus.

It does seem like one so inclined could probably just get all of the single issues for less than what the omnibus costs, but that's true for a lot of titles I've seen get the big book treatment. The title did have some nifty features besides the hype articles. Those Rick Parker calendar pages were pretty cool, and I remember at least one exquisite Sienkiewicz painted art pinup of Peter Parker and Mary Jane (around the time they were married in the comics) as it's still hanging on my comic art wall. Fred Hembeck fans would certainly get their fix, too. I think he contributed to almost every issue, at least early on. And over the course of the run, there resulted a series of yearly Christmas-themed covers by Sergio Aragones featuring Groo, that all together, would be of interest to fans of that title. 

On 4/9/2023 at 7:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

There's nothing on that wiki site that's any more credible than what we've already seen in this thread.

Yeah, and while I bought both of those off the rack from the same comic store, and still have those same issues, I unfortunately can't remember which came first, Ultimately, I don't think it'll ever matter too much. 

On 4/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Lazyboy said:

Absolutely. Before the 90s, it was quite rare for a comic to miss its sale date.

But that's not what we're talking about here. Marvel released comics every week. There is no way all of their offerings for an entire month actually had the same date (as shown in the copyright filings).

Maybe the the point of the picture I posted earlier was missed.

mawmaa3x.thumb.jpg.fe10ca9a386257ad2024a728bb34d4bd.jpg

Only a blind man would miss that. :preach: But that is not a fact. In fact, it's worse than that - it's a non-factual conclusion. :bigsmile:

On 4/9/2023 at 5:04 PM, androolx said:

I think referring to the artwork at issue as an "ad" understates what it is.  Marvel itself, on the cover of Marvel Age Annual #3, stated work by Jim Lee was part of a "special all-new comics section by Marvel's top talents" (see pic below).  The artwork at issue is the only Jim Lee art in said section.

PXL_20230409_233408014.jpg

Wow, all of the names on that list are instantly recognizable to me with the exception of Joanne Spaldo. Time to google...

On 4/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, jdandns said:

Wow, all of the names on that list are instantly recognizable to me with the exception of Joanne Spaldo. Time to google...

Apparently a Marvel staffer, with this issue being her only writing credit. I'm guessing she had to step in and write one of the pages.

While I think these are all distinct from ads (as, unlike the issue with Darkhawk, it's not as if the content used is direct excerpts of the comics to be published), they're not exactly stories, as there aren't any story arcs involved. They're more recaps of where the protagonists of each series stands. But the art is the art, created specifically for this issue for the recap. Whether that's important enough to be collectible is up to the discretion of the individual collector.

Just chiming in to say that I'm the guy who is excited about the Marvel Age Omnibus. It's me. I'm not proud of it, but I can't tell a lie.