• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: RBCC 94
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Still dabbling a bit in zines. It seems like Rocket Blast's ComicCollector was mostly a buying/selling magazine. A few reviews & previews, but mostly comics wanted or for sale. I included one such ad up so everyone can imagine $15 for an Amazing Fantasy 15 as an enticing offer. I mean, it was before my parents were even married, but still. I will honor any of these prices if someone is selling though.

Anyway, some of these RBCCs have nice covers. Gil Kane did this one, which is a simplified version of his Marvel Premiere 1 cover. Couple of notes. The TLFC is bent, but color not significantly broken. There's also a light indention going down the TRFC that's not color breaking and hard to see in photos. I suspect I can get the latter to press out and the former to look less crimped. The white textured look around the title is real. I though it might be ink loss, but it's consistent over every copy I've seen. Not sure what it's supposed to be. Nevertheless, the orange seems to be pretty susceptible to rubbing off. Of the few copies I've seen the color doesn't look as consistent as this one. That said, there may be much nicer copies out there secured in collections, or just not listed for sale since the demand is too low.

PXL_20230406_003435243.thumb.jpg.e93c79c805eb0376653dc6bf42b7cdaa.jpgPXL_20230406_003444675.thumb.jpg.342743e96fefd7221333751d5d713998.jpgPXL_20230406_003849974.thumb.jpg.d7667461482a438d5eabbf7876496caa.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Well, I guess the actual grade is a letdown, but I can't say I'm disappointed with the result. This was always a "vanity" submission b/c I though this was a cool reimagining of the Marvel Premiere cover, and Gil Kane is no longer with us. I guess the best efforts of pressing could get rid of the corner crunch b/c you can still see it. TBH, I think this was graded harshly as 7.0 is the lowest end for a crunch in the guide. It's kind of academic b/c I don't see anyone beating down my door to give me big bucks for this no matter what the grade (if I was selling, which I am not).

PXL_20231018_011212389.jpg

Edited by scburdet