• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A quick Shadow Magazine question...

8 posts in this topic

Through some on-line sources, it's stated that Summer 1949 was the last issue of the Shadow Magazine...

"The Shadow was a crime-mystery magazine which featured the pulp hero in his first ongoing publication, and as such became highly influential to other pulps and comic books. It launched as a monthly in 1931. The following year it became a twice-monthly, which lasted for ten years. In 1943 it became a monthly again and in 1947, the schedule dropped to bimonthly. By 1948 it was a quarterly and the magazine finally expired eighteen years later in the summer of 1949. "

So how is there a Winter 1949 issue?!

And some other information on-line states that the final issue is Fall 1949 ???

On 4/9/2023 at 8:34 PM, Hibou said:

Through some on-line sources, it's stated that Summer 1949 was the last issue of the Shadow Magazine...

"The Shadow was a crime-mystery magazine which featured the pulp hero in his first ongoing publication, and as such became highly influential to other pulps and comic books. It launched as a monthly in 1931. The following year it became a twice-monthly, which lasted for ten years. In 1943 it became a monthly again and in 1947, the schedule dropped to bimonthly. By 1948 it was a quarterly and the magazine finally expired eighteen years later in the summer of 1949. "

The winter issue was the first 1949 issue.  It could have been Winter 1948-1949.

The last issue was Summer 1949.  However, several years later Walter Gibson wrote another Shadow novel that was published by Belmont books; which is generally included on lists of Shadow novels.  (The later Belmont books are not generally well regarded and don't always make the list.)  So a list that automatically correlates titles and dates could have put "Return of the Shadow" into a nonexistent Fall 1949 slot.

As far as I know, the Shadow novel was written new in the 60's; unlike the corresponding case with Doc Savage where an unpublished novel by Lester Dent was located and finally printed in the 70's.

Belmont 01.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 8/4/2023 at 9:17 PM, Hibou said:

I know this is a very subjective question but in general, are Canadian editions of The Shadow Magazine valued the same as the regular US copies?

I really don't know.  I don't have any of the Canadian Shadows, and only one Canadian Doc Savage.  I suspect, but do not know for certain, that you would probably get less than you would for the US versions for the 30's issues in general, but more for the 40's wartime issues, particularly the ones with different cover art than the US editions. 

There may really not be a good answer right now, given the scarcity of the 40's issues and the volatility of the pulp market in general.  Anybody else care to make a guess?  @Bookery? @RedFury?

The Canadian editions are reprints (the #1 issue came out over a year after the U.S. original) and would be worth considerably less, with the earlier and more expensive the issue, the greater the difference in value.  However, I've not really tracked the 1940s issues, which have different cover art.  By this point the U.S. editions aren't all that expensive to begin with, and there may be completists who like acquiring the variant (albeit crudely-drawn) covers, so they may hold a more comparable value?  I'm sure someone on here collects them and could give more input on what sort of pricing they come across.

On 4/9/2023 at 11:34 PM, Hibou said:

Some publishers started the year with a Winter issue. Some ended the year with a Winter issue.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:17 AM, Hibou said:

I know this is a very subjective question but in general, are Canadian editions of The Shadow Magazine valued the same as the regular US copies?

It is not a subjective question. The Canadian issues are not the same. And the prices reflect that.

Canadian pulps were issued in several ways.
They might be identical except for the cover saying "Canadian Edition" or "Printed in Canada".
Sometimes they were published a month or two later; sometimes with Canadian ads, but the same stories.
Sometimes the Canadian Edition was smaller and not all the stories were reprinted.
Some Canadian Editions had new cover art,