• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Al Jaffee RIP

8 posts in this topic

Most people just remember his fold-ins, but I loved a lot of the bits he did for MAD.  There was one of a guy who was all twisted up into a pretzel because he needed to go to the bathroom so bad, that always cracked me up.  I wish I could find the image.

RIP. 

I was so glad to finding him (quite by accident) at Boston Comic Con in 2012. I got his autograph and picture with him. It was a real thrill to meet this kind and funny man.

6DF32D37-009F-48E1-BACD-3A213CE4BCB2.thumb.jpeg.62d00cfa85d92e8e1d762473c279ac5d.jpeg20A95FF1-AEDD-4820-9701-EC775A6ECDD2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a03f81c4c52001c693062136e43fed30.jpeg

Here's what I wrote about meeting Al in my review of the con:

When we finally ventured into the crowd I realized that everyone was there for Kevin Eastman and Simon Bisley. Kevin's crowd was at least twice Simon's, but they really jammed up the otherwise quite spacious aisles. Later in the day, they moved those two out to the foyer - that was a good decision. I didn't stop for either guy, but they both seem quite happy to be there. What I did find was the treat of the show for me - Al Jaffee. He was on the same row as those two guys, but his visitors were relatively few. John and I stopped and talked. He's sharp as a tack and really funny. His wife equally sharp and active. Al gave me his autograph and let me gush over how much I'd enjoyed his work without looking too embarrassed. Later, when we were leaving for lunch, he was right in front of us and we spoke a little more. This was a real treat for me.

Edited by alxjhnsn