• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's TRUE DETECTIVES: NIGHT COUNTRY (2023)
1 1

64 posts in this topic

So I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the past couple of episodes since the finale is Sunday.  I personally was excited for this show but the past 3 episodes I felt haven't been good for various reasons, I also feel like the finale is getting rushed.

I'm liking it for the most part. But it does feel like it is a short story stretched out over multiple episodes by forcing character backstories without a full reveal - constantly. And that can become distracting in itself.

Spoiler

But the father getting shot by his son was a surprise for me. That I did not expect.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm liking it for the most part. But it does feel like it is a short story stretched out over multiple episodes by forcing character backstories without a full reveal - constantly. And that can become distracting in itself.

Reveal hidden contents

But the father getting shot by his son was a surprise for me. That I did not expect.

So I liked the start but the last 3 episodes had very little plot moving parts.  Obviously at the end of the last episode some major things happened but I felt like some characters did some very out of character things.  I'm wondering how this will end.

I rewatched True Detective season 1 and 3 and they were both miles better than this season. I'm hoping this ending tonight is a good one.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, thegiftedone45 said:

So I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the past couple of episodes since the finale is Sunday.  I personally was excited for this show but the past 3 episodes I felt haven't been good for various reasons, I also feel like the finale is getting rushed.

No more sex scenes please. It's too much.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:58 PM, Jayman said:

Who cut out the damn tongue?!?!!

Right? Like there was no wrap-up to the complete story.

For those that have not watched it yet.

Spoiler

Here, creator/showrunner Issa López — who came to the anthology after the writing and directing the award-winning Mexican film Tigers Are Not Afraid (Vuelven) — talks about how she first broke the story about the men in the research station, who represented the drama’s moral center, and what it was like to work with Foster and Reis.

• DEADLINE So did Navarro become a ghost in the finale after she walked out on the ice?
  • ISSA LÓPEZ: I’m not saying that she’s alive, and I’m certainly not saying that she’s dead. I very carefully crafted this as an ink block test for you to discover yourself as an audience member. I do love that Navarro states very early in the series that she has this impulse to just walk away and leave everything behind. On the other hand, the entire series is an exploration of the fact that she feels a calling to the beyond. In the climax of the finale, and instead of fighting it and going in with pain and fear, she surrenders to it. And in doing it, she receives a piece of herself. So that call that she was afraid of is solved. The Aboriginal people in Australia go and walk about, find themselves and then come back, which is I think is what Kali embraced [for the character]. However, there is a chance that she is also going to be with the women before her to visit them. You can read it both ways and it’s up to you to interpret which one fulfills your heart.

• DEADLINE For several episodes there, I thought you were telling a supernatural murder mystery, that something other-worldly killed these men. I’m assuming that was the point, to kind of throw us off?
  • LÓPEZ: Again, it’s both. A horrible deed in the real world happened. Annie K. was killed. There’s no right reason for killing a woman anywhere. But on top of that, she’s killed for horrible reasons. That eventually brings consequences to these men. The women take justice upon themselves because justice is not coming from the outside, as we know that happens in the real world. They put the men out in the arctic. It’s very easy to think and assume they die of exposure and in dying of exposure, they go into a panicked state and have delirium, as is explained in the series. So it’s perfectly real. That’s a rational explanation. But there’s another explanation that these men walk into the ice. Their clothes are there for them to come back to so they can try to survive. They never come back for the clothes. Did they encounter something out there that they waken up when they were digging in places they were not supposed to be digging in? When they were taking the lives of women, because of where they were digging? That’s another vision of it. And once again, it’s your mission to decide which version you go with.

• DEADLINE You ended up giving us a history lesson about indigenous people in Alaska that most people don’t even know existed. Was that a goal?
  • LÓPEZ: True Detective is about the locations. The place is a character as much as the characters themselves. So the first season takes place in Louisiana, the second season takes place in Los Angeles, the third season takes place in Arkansas. Each of those locations were incredibly distinctive and bring different elements. So I thought of Alaska, which is completely different from those three and where the nights last forever. It would have been absolutely wrong to talk about these communities without embracing and going in depth to the fact that 70% of the population of these towns in northwest Alaska are Iñupiaq. I was not familiar with them. So I learned as much as I could on my own. And then I enlisted the elder council of the tribe to go through every script with us and keep us real. We brought the people from Alaska, the Iñupiaq people as characters in the show, just to remind us that we were not using that as an interesting background. It became the story that we were telling.

On 2/19/2024 at 6:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

Right? Like there was no wrap-up to the complete story

Spoiler

Also I don’t think that fire was warm enough to defrost that Jodi Foster popsicle. I don’t care how fast Navarro got her out, she would have flash frozen in seconds! 

On 2/19/2024 at 6:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

Right? Like there was no wrap-up to the complete story.

For those that have not watched it yet.

Reveal hidden contents

What was with the swirling symbol?  What happened with her kid?  Where did dimples go at the end of the show...  All unanswered questions and I don't know if I even care...

So far, to me, the comparisons to the first season are unwarranted. We're on 4 or 5 episodes now and I honestly don't know what the crime really involves, nor do I care who is the perp. I'm not really sure why I'm watching it still. It may be one of those shows where you can't look away for a second ... maybe not. GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu 

On 2/19/2024 at 12:02 PM, WolverineX said:

how did a bunch of  old cleaning ladies become team rainbow six?

People in Alaska are a different breed. They love to let everyone know they are not like 'The Lower 48'.

But man. That was pushing it the way they stormed the castle.

On 2/19/2024 at 12:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

People in Alaska are a different breed. They love to let everyone know they are not like 'The Lower 48'.

But man. That was pushing it the way they stormed the castle.

I did like the “tooth in the wall” scene though…

Wow is the first word that comes to mind on the finale.  I thought this season had a strong first episode and the second was ok.  After the first 2 though the plot moved at a snails' pace and not that much was actually answered which brings me to the finale.  I had really strong hopes for it but man it was really bad.  

SPOILERS BELOW

First thing was the big who did it was absolutely dumb.  The cleaning ladies solved the mystery, didn't tell the cops, and then went seal team 6 to get revenge.  Now how did they know that everyone was in on the murder of Annie K? We don't know in the 2 years in between her murder and their revenge if anyone at Tslal had been switched out, I guess that doesn't matter for mob justice though. The scene with the women walking in during the story was really bad also.

Second thing apparently scientists can hear things being broken miles and miles underground.  So they then find Annie K (who was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person for even breaking in and thinking that breaking things would solve her problem) and go full maniac and decide to kill her.  Literally all of them just band together when they see 1 of them killing her and just make a pact to kill her.....ummm ok. 

Last thing, the Navarro story line has really felt like they romanticized suicide.   I think there's more evidence at the end that she did die (it can be debated) but for someone who was shown to be a badass to just hang it up after "finding herself" in the finale felt dumb. 

All in all this series was a waste of time.  I could go in more for how bad it was but the finale really drove it home.  On the bright side this does make True Detective season 2 look way better now. 

I had high hopes for this season.  It seemed to start with many nods to the 1st (which was great) however to me they slowly chipped away at this until it was just nothing more than a waste of time and possibilities. 

I should have known as most 2nd,3rd,etc of shows have fallen victim to this. Still you just hope that the writers find that stride and make a show great. Unfortunately for me this was not.