• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JEANNE DU BARRY starring Johnny Depp (2023)

15 posts in this topic

Johnny-Depp-as-King-Louis-XV-in-Jeanne-du-Barry-header.thumb.jpg.a2c3be34493bc039504c87792dc5218e.jpg

johnny-depp-in-jeanne-du-barry.thumb.jpg.55a239c736c2a1e95caea86249857676.jpg

While speculation about his return to the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise continues, the actor will appear next in Jeanne du Barry, where he'll play the 2023 film's male lead. Though it's obviously not a project on the same level as his Pirates of the Caribbean movies, it being his comeback film makes it a highly anticipated movie. The film's French release date has just been announced, and between its release and the location of its world premiere, there's enough reason to be excited. And though the movie's release date in the U.S. isn't completely known, there are enough indications to make an educated guess about when it could hit theaters or streaming services.

Jeanne du Barry will have its world premiere at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival, which is where movies are celebrated more than anywhere else in the world. Traditionally, the film selection is generally made up of the best and most acclaimed releases of any given year. This bodes extremely well for Jeanne du Barry, especially as it isn't just having its world premiere at the festival, but is the opening film of the 2023 event. The 2021 festival's opening film was the acclaimed musical drama Annette, and the 2018 festival's opening film was the Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz-starring Everybody Knows, and Jeanne du Barry joins those critically acclaimed films. However, the movie is not debuting in competition and won't be eligible to win the Palme d'Or, the festival's top honor and one of the most prestigious movie awards in the industry.

Synopsis: Jeanne, a young working-class woman hungry for culture and pleasure, uses her intelligence and allure to climb the rungs of the social ladder one by one. She becomes the favourite of King Louis XV who, unaware of her status as courtesan, regains through her his appetite for life. They fall madly in love and, against all propriety and etiquette, Jeanne moves to Versailles, where her arrival scandalizes the court.

Jeanne_du_Barry_poster.jpg.5cc8f8e621201bced159bcdc4ced71dd.jpg

Johnny Depp's comeback movie, Jeanne du Barry, receives a seven-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival. One of the most well-known and accomplished actors of his generation, Depp's name has recently been mired in controversy due to a contentious legal battle with his ex-wife, fellow actor Amber Heard. In his first on-screen role since he won the highly-publicized defamation trial against Heard, Depp stars in the French-language period drama Jeanne du Barry, written and directed by Maïwenn.

Jeanne du Barry recently premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, where the audience erupted in applause for Depp's performance as King Louis XV. According to Variety, Depp held back tears as he received a seven-minute standing ovation after Jeanne du Barry's premiere. The actor, who was surprised by the response, acknowledged the audience by waving from the balcony while Maïwenn broke down into tears and addressed the audience:

"I want to share this moment with my lover, with my producer, with Le Pacte. It was a production that was difficult to finance … and I want to share this moment with all my team across the theater."

Against the odds, Jeanne du Barry has turned out to be a subtle and well-crafted costume drama with plenty of satirical bite. It has more in common with Stanley Kubrick’s Barry Lyndon than it does Pirates of the Caribbean, with Depp giving one of his more restrained and effective performances as the king who falls in love with a courtesan. His Louis is a taciturn, melancholy but commanding figure with a dark side.

What Jeanne du Barry will do for Depp’s faltering reputation remains to be seen, but he gives a solid enough performance. This time, at least, the Cannes doom-mongers were wrong.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, media_junkie said:

I hope it does well for him and kick starts his come back.  I won't be seeing it though, I am not a fan of "period pieces".

I was surprised to see the thread title as it’s usually action or super-hero material here.  Not a fan of period pieces either.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, media_junkie said:

I hope it does well for him and kick starts his come back.  I won't be seeing it though, I am not a fan of "period pieces".

On 5/17/2023 at 9:55 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I was surprised to see the thread title as it’s usually action or super-hero material here.  Not a fan of period pieces either.

Trying to expand your horizons, fellow geeks!

:baiting:

:jawdrop:

On 5/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Trying to expand your horizons, fellow geeks!

:baiting:

:jawdrop:

lol

It’s a fair point, trying to make us more sophisticated and cultured.

Maybe seen too many period pieces on British TV in the past.

Vertical has landed the domestic rights to the period drama, which was directed by and co-stars Maïwenn. Depp play King Louis XV and the film follows his relationship with Jeanne Vaubernier, a working-class woman who rises to the level of the king’s mistress.

North American release plans, including theatrical, are not yet confirmed.

Vertical, which landed the domestic rights to the film following its Cannes debut, is partnering with Fathom to release the film beginning on May 2 in 500 theaters.

Maïwenn directed and co-stars in the film that sees Depp play King Louis XV and follows his relationship with Jeanne Vaubernier, a working-class woman who rises to the level of the king’s mistress.