• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Tiers Question
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Ok, I've been pretty confused about this for a while, so I figure I'll put it out here and see if I can get a definitive answer. Does the declared value on a book I submit refer to the raw FMV or the slabbed FMV for the grade in which I think it will be given after submitting? For example, say I have a high value modern book that I bought raw for $250. I think this book could be a 9.8 NM/M, but that particular book in 9.8 is, say, $1300. And let's say it's $300 in 9.6 (not totally uncommon nowadays for there to be this big a gap, particularly for bronze, copper, and earlier modern keys). 

Would I submit this modern tier, with a cap of $400? And further, if this book came back at 9.8, would I get bumped up to a higher tier and thus be forced to pay over $120 more for grading it? Or are the tier values more for insurance purposes than anything else? I would imagine the latter, since putting value on raw books (and even slabbed books, in many cases) is kind of a crapshoot, but I'd love a definitive answer on this. And yes, I have read the 'declared value policy', but it's pretty vague on raw versus slabbed FMV, considering they often do not match up (and most people wouldn't assign NM/M to a raw book they are selling unless it is a brand new book--and even then they would almost certainly not charge the same FMV of that book slabbed at 9.8). Anyone have any experience with CGC bumping their tiers up for something like this? I ask because a lot of key books that are otherwise under under $400 shoot up to well over $400 if they hit that 9.6 or 9.8 threshold. Curious if ya'll know anything more about this! Thanks!

It’s more for insurance purposes.  BUT you should make a good faith estimate, if you’re ridiculously off you could get up charged.

but if you’re genuinely near a border, you can go low and they won’t ding you probably.  

Well, what do you know--I just had a book of mine adjusted from Modern to Express, adding $101 to the grading fee. Don't know the book or grade yet, but it could only really be one book...a book I bought for $200 and would almost never go over $400 raw (it's been selling roughly $400-450 in 9.6, which is borderline, and over $1,500 in 9.8). I'm hoping this means it got 9.8, but I'm still a little miffed. I had a high grade NYX 3, a high grade UF4, and another high grade of the same book in a different order--none of which got bumped (yet).

I'll keep ya'll posted, because I'm wondering if this is something I can potentially appeal...