• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this on the corner of the book? PGM otherwise flawless Maximum Carnage #1 (Acclaim)
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I am not quite sure what this is on the corner. In the light, it looks flush with the rest of the book, so it doesn't seem to be ink added on after the fact. 

There are no other flaws on this book (not even a spine tick) - according to the previous owner, it was never read and has been stored in bag ever since getting it in 1994.

PGMMAXIMUM.jpg

PGMMAXIMUM2.jpg

PGMMAXIMUM3.jpg

Edited by Timed

On 4/20/2023 at 11:56 PM, SolidShredder said:

Almost certainly color rub or "scuffing". Something rubbed against it and took some ink off. Sometimes happens to books before they even hit the store shelves. 

I see. Any chance it could still get a 9.8 with this flaw? Everything else is literally looks pristine :cry:

On 4/21/2023 at 1:06 AM, Timed said:

Any chance it could still get a 9.8 with this flaw?

Unfortunately no. However, it could probably still get around a 9.4 or so if this is the only flaw. I'd have to see better pictures to give you an accurate appraisal. It's hard to even tell how big the flaw is with just a closeup picture. 

On 4/21/2023 at 12:14 AM, SolidShredder said:

Unfortunately no. However, it could probably still get around a 9.4 or so if this is the only flaw. I'd have to see better pictures to give you an accurate appraisal. It's hard to even tell how big the flaw is with just a closeup picture. 

I have attached a new pic, thanks for your input.

PGMMAXIMUM2.jpg

On 4/21/2023 at 12:37 AM, SolidShredder said:

Do you have a photo of the back as well? The minimum standard for posts in this thread is a high res photo of both the front and back. 

Yep, just added it into the first post. :)

On 4/21/2023 at 1:50 AM, Timed said:

does CGC differentiate between color rub during manufacturing and after being shipped out?

Yes, they do. The problem is it has to be a common occurrence for them to be sure it's a manufacturing defect. If it's a super rare thing that happened, they have to treat it like any other defect since they can't be sure. From what I can see in the photos, I'd say your copy could still score in the 9s. Probably around a 9.4. It's in very nice shape. Either way, that book is worth quite a bit in any grade and yours is for sure a higher grade copy. If you have the funds I would for sure send this into CGC and get it protected right away.