• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Art as Fine Art

111 posts in this topic

Here is the quote from the LA Times article:

"But it's certainly worth the trouble. "Masters of American Comics," in addition to offering exceptional art, also stands as a marker for a fundamental change in American art institutions. Comic artists obviously didn't need art museums to flourish, but the reverse is no longer true. Art museums need comic art."

Glen

Interesting, but this sounds more like a museum pandering to what they hope will be way to get non-museum people into the gallery and boost attendance. That doesn't give comic art a free pass into the world of fine art, though.

Galleries, museums, and dealers in art of many stripes do this sort of thing all the time in order to generate revenue for "fine" art projects that won't achieve mass appeal. It's akin to bookstore booking Stephen King for a signing so that the store can afford to pay Rushdie or Eco the following week. Those are more distinguished writers, but they don't make Stephen King dollars.

It sounds like what you are saying is that the Museum reviewed it's own exhibit? I think the art critic is reporting what he believes to be true. I don't think he has an agenda. If you read the whole article it FEELS like he is reacting to the exhibit. But what the hell do I know?

Glen

Isn't this article publicity? There was another article a couple of weeks back in the LA TImes that was 3 pages long, front page of the Calender, and listed all the artists and works in the two museum shows. That was not paid for by either museum and I think falls under the heading of publicity.

Glen

theres a grey area between journalism and publicity. You think all "reporters" and their publications seek out "whats happening" in the coming weeks?? Nope. Its nearly all generated by publicists, press releases, barter deals for advertising space etc etc etc. We read and watch TV passivley, and watch all the entertainment shows which lead us to believe THEY went out and lined up a star making a new album, or comeback. But the truth is, they get to sit back and sift from the ideas for segments pitched to THEM!. Occasionally they will go after a megastar for an "exclusive" etc, but even there the STAR's people are holding the strings...

theres a grey area between journalism and publicity. You think all "reporters" and their publications seek out "whats happening" in the coming weeks?? Nope. Its nearly all generated by publicists, press releases, barter deals for advertising space etc etc etc. We read and watch TV passivley, and watch all the entertainment shows which lead us to believe THEY went out and lined up a star making a new album, or comeback. But the truth is, they get to sit back and sift from the ideas for segments pitched to THEM!. Occasionally they will go after a megastar for an "exclusive" etc, but even there the STAR's people are holding the strings...

This may be the WHY something is reviewed. But the conclusion drawn by the critic is, generally speaking, their own. The museum is not a huge advertising sponsor of the LA Times as far as I know.

Glen

This may be the WHY something is reviewed. But the conclusion drawn by the critic is, generally speaking, their own. The museum is not a huge advertising sponsor of the LA Times as far as I know.

Glen

true enough. The critics usually get to honestly say what they want. But it was stated that there was a there page article about the show... not a critics review of the exhibit. A newspaper can have an entire pullout editorial section devotted to something happening in their city - -- and a few pages later on have their respected critic rip it to shreds! Depends on the paper, the clout of the reviewer, his contract status.. etc etc just like anywhere else... If the publisher's pet cause is being reviewed, well, a writer takes that into consideration - - even if he acts by totally disregarding any fallout he may receive for it. Just like Jedediah!!

actually I skipped your meaning here.... usually a good paper "of record" like the LA Times will review every film and other "major" event. I dont know much about LA art venues, but isnt this space a pretty well-known one? If so, it may get reviewed as a matter of course. And while it may only get a 2 paragraph mention for some exhibits, perhaps its higher status (as evidenced by the 3-page coverage) pushed teh review's status up too.

I havent seen the paper so I dont really know, you know..... But - -overall, as pertains to this discussion, LA would be IMO ripe for a show about comics artwork, in that for about 5 years , a lot of money in LA has been made from the source material!! Thta tends to widen people's horizons a bit.. : )