• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice on a Trade
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I want to get some advice on a potential trade that I have been offered.

I have a copy of Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 with slightly brittle pages, which, as we know, is a killer. FYI, there is a piece of thread on the outside of the slab that is directly above HULK!; I don't know why I didn't brush it away. 

The grader's notes are as follows:
Heavy creasing to cover.
Heavy spine stress lines to cover.
Heavy tears to cover.
Moderate pieces out to cover.
Moderate staining to cover.

Avengers1A.thumb.jpg.a1f15ac3ede6a9c1fca1830e7ed27298.jpg     Avengers1B.thumb.jpg.17aa3041e022853c9f4896a9b5a4aa9b.jpg

I have been offered an Incredible Hulk #3 CGC 4.0 straight up for my copy of Avengers #1.

The grader's notes are as follows:
Crease full center of front cover
Multiple crease back cover
Small writing left center of front cover
Tear bottom of back cover
Wear all edges
Wear spine breaks color

Hulk3A.jpg.4308ba27aa4d1d8a5916b02f2b4fe580.jpg     Hulk3B.jpg.9b20605783c0334db762e511ebdb2375.jpg

According to GPA, a IH #3 CGC 4.0 last sold for $1,353 on 02/08/2023 and an Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 sold for $1,906 on 02/13/2023. Also factoring into my decision is that, at some point in time, I want to upgrade my copy of Avengers #1 to a CGC 6.0, so I can have Avengers #1 - #16 all in CGC 6.0 or higher.

Please be honest in your appraisal. If you say, "Math Teacher, this would be the stupidest trade in the history of comicdom!", I would appreciate this opinion, although I would like it if you could phrase it slightly differently. :foryou:

Numbers can be determined using stats of previous sales of equivalent copies, but in the end, it really comes down to which book YOU'D rather have. If you'd rather have the Hulk but think it's worth a % less than the Avengers, communicate that to the person you're dealing with and see if there's room for you to get a little cash in the deal. I know what it's like to have a "patch" in my collection ... a placeholder until I find the copy I REALLY want. It might be beneficial for you to consider the marketability of the Avengers once you've upgraded it. Do you think it would be an easy sell with that pq? Good luck with whatever you decide and remember, it's good to have what you want and to want what you have!  (thumbsu

On 4/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

If the overall goal is to get Avengers 1 in 6.0, I don't see how this trade helps. It's a complete side track. Plus you have no idea how long you will actually be without an Avengers 1 if you trade it away. 

Well, I am also working on trying to accumulate the first ten issues of each of the ten Marvel SA series. I currently have IH #1, #2, and #4 - #6. Grabbing a IH #3 would complete my Hulk run.

it will take me well over a year to save up enough money to afford an Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0. By waiting, I am also hoping that the price of an Avengers #1 will continue to decrease.

The brittle pages are a huge turnoff but the Avengers 1 has a much larger potential market than the Hulk. It is much more “liquid”.  If the trade (which I am always skeptical of) were for your grail I’d say go for it but if not pass. Fact that pages are slightly brittle rather than brittle doesn’t change my advice. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 4/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I am also working on trying to accumulate the first ten issues of each of the ten Marvel SA series. I currently have IH #1, #2, and #4 - #6. Grabbing a IH #3 would complete my Hulk run.

it will take me well over a year to save up enough money to afford an Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0. By waiting, I am also hoping that the price of an Avengers #1 will continue to decrease.

Even so, I can't help feeling, if it were me, that it would be better to try and get the IH without depleting another title you want to complete. I would not want you to have savage regrets about the trade. 

The OP's book is also "slightly brittle," not "brittle," which is a separate designation.  As discussed in many places on these Boards (mostly in the GA section), there is a significant difference between the two, borne out by experience with (1) submissions of raws that ended up surprising by getting SB pages (instead of higher PQ) and/or (2) cracking out SB slabs and being pleasantly surprised w/ mostly supple and bright pages.  In a nutshell, those boardies explained that SB is often due to fragile corners with most of page and pages remaining supple.  Like when a portion of a book sticks out of a pile and is more exposed to unfavorable environmental conditions.  Just food for thought.  

Edited by Pantodude

Or you could forgo the trade route and list it on CLINK or EBAY with a mininum BIN price to cash out on the Avengers 1 and then just shop for another book with the cash.  It's a pretty much no harm ho foul scenario as it doesn't cost you anything until the sale goes through.  You can get lower offers to consider on both sites.  I sold my last 2 FF issues 8 and 13 in 9.0 Restored on CLINK.  I paid about $500 for the 8 and about $750 for the 13.  They sat there for several months (I was in no hurry) and finally about a week or two apart both sold for $1500.  GOOD LUCK!  (I wouldn't do the trade straight up...agree with other points of view here...)

On 4/23/2023 at 4:19 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Go after a key ASM 2-10 for your book. I would not keep it due to paper quality.

On 4/23/2023 at 4:54 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

FF4 would be a good book to try and get.

I already have ASM #1 - #400 along with Fantastic Four #1 - #300. But thank you for your suggestions.

Well, I have decided to take everyone's advice. I am no longer going to pursue this trade. 

I currently have my Avengers #1 posted for sale on IG, with an asking price of $1,500. I have gotten a lot of likes, but no one has shown any interest. I will probably take it down in a day or two. I might try to post it here, but I think it will generate even less interest here.

@Funnybooks alerted me to a Hulk #3 CGC 4.5 for $1,499 on IG. Unfortunately, while I was negotiating for a lower price, someone else claimed it. As @Funnybooks said to me yesterday, another one will show sooner or later.

I have to be honest. I was falling into the trap that many of us fall into. I just felt that I "needed" to buy a new comic. After waiting for some time, I came to my senses and realized that as much as I wanted a Hulk #3, trading my Avengers #1 for it was not a good idea.

I will keep looking for the eleven issues to complete my goal of obtaining the first ten issues of the first ten early SA Marvel titles. At the same time, I need to start saving up so I can get a copy of Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0.

Thank you very much for everyone that contributed their advice. Best wishes to all of you!

Edited by Math Teacher